Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Craters, Vallis and Mare from 230415

Mak One

I've just managed to work my way through a lot of the AVI's from a busy hour or so on Thursday evening.

Janssen and Vallis Rheita:

post-12224-0-23239500-1429953973_thumb.j

Janssen "from Orbit" (at Blazar's request... :grin: ):

post-12224-0-08462200-1429954214.jpg

Langrenus:

post-12224-0-37658900-1429954309.jpg

Petavius:

post-12224-0-24836400-1429954362.jpg

Mare Humboldtianum:

post-12224-0-59935400-1429954421_thumb.j

The larger shots were taken at full frame with the ASI120MM, the smaller ones at 640x480 for high frame rate.  All done with the 150mm Pro Mak, ASI120MM and red filter.  Pretty happy with them, but the Humboldtianum isn't quite there - the foreground is OK but the image "blurs" out towards the limb, which is a shame.  Must try harder.  Focus, focus...

Thanks for looking.

Thanks both.

A nice set of images.  Your Humbolt image seems to be in focus - I think you may have some stacking artifacts in there - what stacking software are you using??

Roger - Registax 6.  Usually OK but does seem to be giving issues with these.  I've tried with usual settings for 1000 frame AVI's.  Any ideas?

Have you tried Autostakkert2??  It is easier and much quicker than Registax.  It does not have a wavelets function but I now use Astra Image 3.0 (freeware) or ImPPG (  http://stargazerslounge.com/blog/1400/entry-1808-imppg-image-post-processor/  )and use Lucy-Richardson deconvolution.  I find I am getting consistently better results.

If you want some settings to start you off please ask.

Funnily enough,  I was looking at AS!2 earlier this morning and wondering if my 8-ish year old laptop would stand the strain or finally expire.  I'll see if I can coax it into the download.  Shame more of this software isn't written for (<looks both ways and lowers voice>) Macs.

Any suggestions on initial settings welcome!

Thanks Roger.

AS2 is easy to use.  

Open the program.  Click "Open" and find a file to process (or a batch of them).  If processing a largish Moon use "Alt + 9" to get the green alignment box bigger.

You should see this:

post-4502-0-95843000-1429961546_thumb.pn

Check the settings in the left hand column and click on "Analyse".  AS will do its thing and stop after "Buffering and Image Analysys" (in the centre column).

Set the alignbox and output parameters - diagram below shows some settings that will get you going with a Moon image:

post-4502-0-11673900-1429961745_thumb.pn

Click "Stack" and AS2 will do its stuff.

Job done!

With Astra Image 3.0:

Open the program. Open your first file (no batch facility on this one!) and go to "processing" at the top.  Find Lucy-Richardson deconv.

Use your mouse in the preview window to "slide" a suitable bit of your image into view.  Click "Preview" and you will see a horrible result!!!  Just move the image in preview slightly to reset it and lower the PSF size to 0.9 and then 0.8 etc until you get a decent preview - I find 0.5 or 0.6 is often OK but you will soon see the "right" value.

When happy click OK and Astra Image will run and you will soon see your nicely sharpened image appear.  Save your image and open the next one.  AI will keep your L-R parameters set for each image as long as you don't close the program.

An alternative set of L-R settings can be found by unchecking the "aggrressive" box and using a PSF of around 1.0 and maybe 60-80 iterations.  This is much less "harsh" and can give excellent results if you know you have good sharp data from a session of good seeing.  Downside is that it takes longer to process.

ImPPG is pretty intuative to use and is much quicker than Astra Image.  Once you have had a go with AI you can start to play with ImPPG - I find it is better as you have more control over the effects you can get but it does take a lot of trial and error to get things "just so".  Best used if you have really good data to play with!

Hope this helps.

So, encouraged by Roger's kind tutorial and having beaten the old laptop into submission, Sorry! I mean cajoled it gently into accepting some new software :p , here's the first AS!2 version of my Mare Humboldtianum shot that Registax left a bit "wooly":

post-12224-0-20075400-1429967981_thumb.p

Does seem to be some improvement there.  Tempted to wade back through previous AVI's and see what I get now.  That's evenings next week sorted...!

Thanks again, Roger!

Archived