SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark Site

vlebo

I dropped a client off in Wingrave the other night at about 11.30pm . On my way home through the back roads I came across a huge concreted semi circular area on the side of the road , so I pulled in and got out to have a look at the night sky.  I was absolutely gobsmacked by how crystal clear the night sky was. I was a long way from any street lights or towns and the seeing conditions were perfect. I must have been there for a good twenty minutes and not a single car passed by. There were great views through 360 degrees at 10 degrees above the horizon.It was quiet and peaceful and a perfect place to set up and spend an enjoyable evening under the stars. I marked it on my satnav and was home in 40 mins. 

Looks like I have found myself a little spot to call my own !!

Yes, if I am ever driving home from a different direction and I have got some time on my hands, I quite often cut off down some random country lane and drive around looking for places to set up. It is always trying to find the spot which is far enough off the main road so head lights stop being an issue which is the hard part. One day I will find the perfect spot within a 20 minute drive of me, but not quite there yet :)

Sounds like a great find, something to look forward to. I found a good place literally a mile from where i live. Like yours it was a concreted area on a backroad. Not the darkest place but at least away from car lights and street lights. Eventually i got permission from the farmer (who was only too happy to help) as my sessions were being spoiled by the worry of being 'moved on'. I used the site numerous times until some moron decided to dump a load of rubbish there - haven't used it since. :(

Dark sites are a rare thing!!

My neighbour's hubby is a farmer and without me even asking they said I was more than welcome to set up on their land. Was well chuffed, as other dark sites have cars cruising around at night...

one of the good things about living away from cities is not only the abundance of potential sites like farms, but you could also talk to the local shire/council about using disused sites of theirs.  Close to the outskirts of our small town as an example there is an old water tower, been out of service for years, set on a hill, away from the town proper, no trees to obstruct the views etc.  So maybe sometime spent with a county map can identify other possible sites as well?

michael

it seems like a large area where you can pull into off the road. it is not an entrance into anywhere, just a large flat area of concrete off the road , so nobody to ask permission to use really. I will take my large bino's and set up and see how it goes next time i'm free.

it seems like a large area where you can pull into off the road. it is not an entrance into anywhere, just a large flat area of concrete off the road , so nobody to ask permission to use really. I will take my large bino's and set up and see how it goes next time i'm free.

hummmmm, dont know if id go out there in the dark on my own, sounds like the kind of place the aliens use for a landing pad !!

Archived