Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion XT8 Dobsonian (First Telescope) advice needed

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a dobsonian 8" telescope (Orion XT8) as my starter scope. I am new to this hobby. I want to explore visual astronomy first and then after few months I would like to explore AP options. Here are my questions:

1) Is this a good beginner scope? I avoided 10" dob due to its dimensions and weight. I think I can manage 8" dob comfortably (based on its reviews and dimensions/weight)

2) I know dobsonians are not good for AP and I am not in a hurry to start AP. I wish to save some money for some months before buying equipment for AP. However, can I use the same 8" dob OTA on Eq mount later? If not, any advice on a good aperture OTA for future upgrade? 

3) Can I manage to take lunar and planetary images using this dob? (with a barlow?)

4) Finally, any recommended accessories to buy with this dob?

Thanks a lot!

Well, I am incredibly new to astronomy, but I will chime in while you’re waiting to hear from the pros. Yes you can mount a dob optical tube on an equatorial mount in the future; others will have experience with doing so and can give you the pros and cons. They also make equatorial bases for dobs, so that is an option also.

I love my 12” dob, but I am definitely looking forward to getting a smaller Newtonian that will be easier to move. So far I purchased a Giottos rocket blower to blow dirt and crud off the primary. My next purchase will be a steering knob and an eyepiece filter for reducing glare.

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a dobsonian 8" telescope (Orion XT8) as my starter scope. I am new to this hobby. I want to explore visual astronomy first and then after few months I would like to explore AP options. Here are my questions:

1) Is this a good beginner scope? I avoided 10" dob due to its dimensions and weight. I think I can manage 8" dob comfortably (based on its reviews and dimensions/weight)

2) I know dobsonians are not good for AP and I am not in a hurry to start AP. I wish to save some money for some months before buying equipment for AP. However, can I use the same 8" dob OTA on Eq mount later? If not, any advice on a good aperture OTA for future upgrade?

3) Can I manage to take lunar and planetary images using this dob? (with a barlow?)

Thanks a lot!

I love my 8" Newt so I'd be a bit biased in my support for you on this!

I've taken some reasonable lunar and planetary shots with mine - using a Nikon DSLR at prime focus and through eyepiece projection. You would likely be able to do the same. Longer exposures would, of course, be a challenge.

I'd buy the scope and give it a try for a couple of weeks. In terms of recommendations: think about whether you're happy with the finder scope or consider some form of red dot finder, and think about what you're looking at and how happy you are with the stock eyepieces provided.

Let us know how it goes and keep asking questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 8" newt \ dob has a fierce reputation on SGL. It will give you good service for many years.

As far as accessories go, use the scope for a while, join a local astro group and see what others have and what may suit you best.

I have ordered it and eagerly waiting for its arrival!

@experts: as a beginner, do I have to buy a gadget for collimation?  

//www.google.com/maps/@37.314712,-122.032165,3a,15y,267.42h,88.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sr-a3GJBtYTxkZl8lgX_e7g!2e0

You could have driven to the Orion store in Cupertino and picked one up today ;)

The store has a friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Jason

Hello all,

2) I know dobsonians are not good for AP and I am not in a hurry to start AP. I wish to save some money for some months before buying equipment for AP. However, can I use the same 8" dob OTA on Eq mount later? If not, any advice on a good aperture OTA for future upgrade? 

Thanks a lot!

Yes you can take astro-photos. I took the attached photos using my XT10 -- but it was mounted on an equatorial platform table (not an a GEM). I took the photos with my hand held iphone -- just a single frame.

The best accessory is an asro-chair. Enjoying the evening with a painless back is more important than any other astro equipment.

post-5330-0-60451600-1426189165.jpg
post-5330-0-36082100-1426193928.jpg
post-17988-133877746975_thumb.jpg
Jason

Archived