SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Introduction plus light pollution question

Hi people, I've been browsing and stargazing with just my eyes for about a week and using the SkEye app and other resources to help me learn the sky. 

The sky is usually dark where I am from, but tonight it seems quite bright and I can hardly see a thing. It is cloudier than usual, but I can't help think that this reduced visibility isn't just to do with the clouds. 

Have I got this wrong, or am I onto something (for a beginner)?

I might not even take this interest further than simply stargazing, but I am enjoying it so far. 

Regards,

Eddie 

it is mainly the clouds. And as you have surmised there is also a correlation with light pollution. the increased brightness is caused by the clouds reflecting, refracting and diffusing all the light that is around.  Some days even when there are no clouds around water vapour can turn a sky to  mush. over cities it manifests as an orange brown murk with only the brightest stars and planets being able to break through. And as to only stargazing there's nowt wrong with that. Looking at the stars keeps your eyes out of the gutter. welcome to SGL

Light cloud and the moon is at about half so it could be reflecting light on to the upper surface of the cloud, some of which gets through.

As the moons gets fuller it will get more pronounced.

As the moon gets fuller more people complain about the moon.

There is a lunar cycle to complaints which in an odd way can be amusing.

You do not need a lunar calander, just read and count.

Strange aspect is no-one seem to go lunar observing, they run inside, grab a keyboard and let everyone know the moon is full and that (usually) the sky is totally clear - usually accompanied with the word "Why???".

The other strange lunar effect is that people go looking for the interesting but dim DSO's that are close to the position of the moon and so cannot be seen.

Thanks people. It really is a science isn't it. 

I couldn't see the moon last night because I was looking through my bedroom window, which although is quite big and opens fully it still only shows me less than half the sky!

Will bear in mind the cloud problem too. 

Regards

Hi Eddie

You mention a big open window.

If you are thinking about maybe using a scope from your bedroom, pointing it out the window, I don't think that will work.

I don't even have a scope yet myself but read some guy going on about how it's unfortunately impossible due to the air turbulence caused by the temperature difference between the room and outside.

Ottoerago, very interesting. I was thinking I might do that, but it won't affect my decision whether to get a scope or not. I used to go night fishing when I was younger, so a bit of cold isn't going to stop me from doing something I enjoy! The next step will probably be binoculars for me, but not quite yet. 

Thanks 

Archived