Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Timelapsing...

I've been playing with timelapses again - the last few days of sunny weather and no moon have given some hazy but otherwise clear nights. I took a few timelapses over night on April 21st and have combined them with some static images of parts of the Milky Way.

It starts with the Moon and Venus setting in the west followed by Jupiter then shows the Milky Way rising first in the east, then moving across the sky to the south.

I've got reasonably good skies in terms of light pollution but the point at which the streetlights in Whimple turn off is quite obvious in the video... Hope you enjoy... :)

https://vimeo.com/125953527

Techy info:

Mostly 25-30 second exposures through a Canon 6D (14mm Samyang lens, ISO 3200, f/3.2)  for the timelapse, and the static images were taken with a  modded Canon 650D using a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 lens, 25 second exposures at f/2.2.

I use an interval of 32 seconds - for the astro side of things that means a 30 second exposure followed by 2 secs for the camera to put the image on the card, I think it needs only a second or so but no harm in a little buffer... I'll leave the camera going as long as possible, a recent time lapse of the tide coming in for example:

)

....the camera was left on a beach for about seven hours. Once it's done I download the card onto my Mac and process the images in Lightroom, export to jpegs, then put them together into a time lapse using an app called Sequence. Any further tweaking is done using Apple's iMovie.

The setup isn't perfect, Sequence allows for output at a pretty high resolution (proper 4k) but iMovie only allows 1080p HD... that's more than adequate for output except that I know the data from the camera comes in much higher than 4k and I don't like losing so much resolution.

I've got more ideas than I've got time... (or money for that matter) and there seems to be loads of different software options out there which is good but whereas when I was younger I could pick up how to use software in about an hour it now requires days of effort... :( But... It's fun, and unlike 'deep sky' imaging to elapsing is something my wife and kids like and understand...

James

Why can you press like once? Can we talk to Grant about that? :D

Stunning sequence James. I love the section with the horizontal shadows pass down the beach. Totally agree with Peter, you have a great eye for these things.

Archived