Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY atlas - sort of?

mcolbert

I wrote this on another thread and it got me thinking - is this a viable idea?

if there was a source on the net (which I have no idea if there is or not), you could create your own atlas so to speak.  Download a chart, laminate and explore.  Eventually you could check ways of binding.

In doing that you might add your own images of each object of interest.

michael

hmm maybe this should be posted in the DIY section? :)

Does anyone know of a website with downloadable charts to get the idea up and running?  I know that it would relatively easy to buy an old Will Tirion and add images and re bind but this way you could choose which section of the sky to concentrate on.  It's a little like the two volume E.E.Barnard  work: A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way.

Any suggestions appreciated:)

michael

There's a thread here somewhere,complete with photos,of the Tri-Atlas,downloaded,laminated and bound.Some members had this done by local printing firms,at a cost of £80-90 (though I don't know how long ago).I happened to come across this information,when I was searching for posts re the 'Interstellarium Deep Sky' Atlas.I consequently bought a copy of the desk version from Amazon for £48.

Tri Atlas looks good, but a little busy for my taste.

I printed off a copy of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas as the original is out of print. The advantage of printing your own is you can write on your print, but then print another if you need to.

Archived