Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

April 22 2015 - activity-fest

Helen

A few quick processes, like David testing ImPPG following Michael's primer.  Needs more time to experiment etc, but I need to go back to prepping for my University Viva tomorrow morning!!  Expect some reprocessing once that is over

post-374-0-44758400-1429711444_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-95703800-1429711536.jpg

post-374-0-38287700-1429711523_thumb.jpg

Helen

I spent most of the afternoon with my new Lunt 50 in my second ever visual session of the sun. I am still learning but obvious even to me was the significant variation in activity over the entire sphere. My view of the 'oak tree' outburst on the limb was spectacular. There were so many fine tendrils to it. I was quite shocked at how the seeing can change so dramatically too. One minute the surface was blurry, the next I could see tiny detail around the 'double spot'.

Glad you like it! Great shot!

Thanks Michael :smile:  I'm struggling to get the balance between surface and proms.  Any tips on upping the brightness of the prom without losing contrast on the disk?

Ta

Helen

Thanks Michael :smile:  I'm struggling to get the balance between surface and proms.  Any tips on upping the brightness of the prom without losing contrast on the disk?

Ta

Helen

That is always a battle. My part inverted shots are partly made for that. What I also do is produce curves that rise steeply from 0 at the REAL background level (lowest occupied level) to a reasonably high level at the sicule grey level, and then make a slightly concave curve from that point. In GIMP, it looks like this:

post-5655-0-86198000-1429780142_thumb.pn

Slightly off topic, but I'm sure the OP won't mind  :grin: .....

I tried ImPPG on Jupiter to see whether the deconvolution would draw out the extra detail I've been craving.  It did bring out much more than wavelets, but I lost the colour.  Does it only work in mono?  I suppose I could layer in PS to get the best of both worlds (although given my expertise on such things it might take some experimentation  :rolleyes: )

Helen

Some brill images Helen, especially the prom, so much detail.

I have been using LR deconvolution in Astra Image on Jupiter this season, so much better than Wavelets.

Robin

Interesting comment as that was not what was concluded in this thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236299-registax-vs-lr-deconvolution-shoot-out-on-jupiter-little-animation/?hl=%2Bdeconvolution#entry2559532

It would be interesting to see what I could get from my data from the two methods and get some of the other planetary guys to do a comparison as I know the majority use R6 wavelets.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236299-registax-vs-lr-deconvolution-shoot-out-on-jupiter-little-animation/?hl=%2Bdeconvolution#entry2559532

It would be interesting to see what I could get from my data from the two methods and get some of the other planetary guys to do a comparison as I know the majority use R6 wavelets.

I always thought  it was used in combination with wavelets ?

wouldn't work properly otherwise would it. ?

Slightly off topic, but I'm sure the OP won't mind  :grin: .....

I tried ImPPG on Jupiter to see whether the deconvolution would draw out the extra detail I've been craving.  It did bring out much more than wavelets, but I lost the colour.  Does it only work in mono?  I suppose I could layer in PS to get the best of both worlds (although given my expertise on such things it might take some experimentation  :rolleyes: )

Helen

Helen, for Jupiter you could first decompose the original image into RGB channels, process them in ImPPG and then combine again.

But I guess it will be more convenient to use some other tool.

I could resurrect my LRGausDeconv tool, which can handle colour by treating each plane separately (or that could perhaps be integrated with ImPPG)

I was quite a novice at LR Deconvolution and might want to redo my old work to see what I can do now with more experience.

I always thought  it was used in combination with wavelets ?

wouldn't work properly otherwise would it. ?

I do use LR deconvolution without wavelets, but I do tend to use unsharp masking to boost contrast a bit alongside it.

I was quite a novice at LR Deconvolution and might want to redo my old work to see what I can do now with more experience.

I do use LR deconvolution without wavelets, but I do tend to use unsharp masking to boost contrast a bit alongside it.

Ok so it does work without wavelets. The reason I asked is I know some of the oz  guys used astra image deconvolution. But in that case I am sure it was in combination with wavelets. Which seems to suggest it worked better like that, But I haven't used it

Ok so it does work without wavelets. The reason I asked is I know some of the oz  guys used astra image deconvolution. But in that case I am sure it was in combination with wavelets. Which seems to suggest it worked better like that, But I haven't used it

I have treid to combine them, but not with much success (may have done that wrong, of course). We are currently developing new forms of anisotropic diffusion filtering for noise reduction, which adapts its smoothing rate depending on the local signal-to-noise ratio (so faint areas are smoothed more that bright, in most cases). Doing this before LR deconvolution might work well to get more out of the solar prominences, without affecting the disk or exploding the noise in the background.

Archived