SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do you get the best seeing conditions for solar observation?

I don't have any solar observation equipment yet - I'm still trying to learn as much as possible before making the plunge - but it will eventually happen! But first I'd like to try to understand solar seeing conditions so I can get an idea of what to expect where I live.

I understand that due to atmospheric conditions, I am unlikely to ever exceed magnification around 60x on a regular basis no matter how big of a scope I use. But where can I go to get the best possible conditions?

I know that a concrete parking lot would be bad. Heat radiates off the ground. Am I better off in a grassy field? Or how about near the beach observing out over the ocean? Or how about the edge of a balcony on a tall building far above the ground?

What time of day is best? Earlier in the morning when the sun hasn't had much time to heat up the ground, but the sun is at a low angle? Or am I better off when the sun is high overhead even if the ground is hotter?

And how about altitude? If I go up a mountain and observe at high altitude, would I be able to achieve higher magnification? If so, how much higher could I get versus sea level? Or are the atmospheric limitations just as bad at high altitudes as they are at low altitudes during the day?

Thanks for any advice. I've tried searching online for this, but can't seem to find a good resource that explains it all

Hi Saturninus.

All good questions. Ive only been into solar observing for a few weeks now. I bought a Hershel wedge and filters. I have asked some of these questions in the process of gaining more info about solar observing. From what i remember other solar observers telling me, when it comes to magnification, different surfaces to observe from etc................it really doesnt matter much. You can observe the Sun with pretty much any aperture (scope size). How much magnification you use (eyepiece size) is up to you. I wouldnt go too crazy though. It all depends though.

What time of the day to observe is up for debate (so no clear single answer). Some people do it early morning, some at lunch and others in the evening. Some do it all day long.

If you use a proper safety filter, be it Baader solar film or a wedge etc...the heat issue is not an issue because the filter will absorb all of the heat and the harmful UV light.

Regarding altitude, i cant see it making any difference. 

Hope ive answered your questions and if i am wrong on any point i am sure someone else will correct me and set you right.

Best of luck with your solar observing whatever system you decide on. It really is nice to get outside during the day and have a look at out nearest star.

I just noticed that you live in Hawaii (you lucky devil). Same rules apply in Hawaii as anywhere else in the world.

*edit*

Hershel wedges ONLY work with refractor telescopes. 

Maybe copy your post and put it in the solar observing section of this website. You will get more replies and better advice.

Hey thanks very much for your comments. Very very helpful. I'm glad to know that I don't have to go to extremes to get a really good view. Well, actually I will be putting my wallet through some extremes...

If the forum gods are not too offended, I'll post this question in solar observation forum. It would be interested to hear the topic of best seeing conditions debated.

Yes, the same rules apply to Hawaii. Except that in Hawaii, everything is 30% more expensive. We refer to it as the sunshine tax. So I figured I should make the most of it and get a closer look at what I am paying for. 

Early morning is usually best here. You still have the cool night air and the land hasn't warmed to create thermal instability.

Olly

That is what i would have thought. Either that or late evening. I really didnt think it mattered, but so many solar observers get out early morning and do what they do.

I'm still learning.

It will depend on your location.

Here, like many places apparently, mornings tend to be best, mid-day tends to be worst, and evening can be okay. That is just the general trend here, awful seeing can still happen in the morning and now and again conditions can be very good mid-day! So it's often worth a try no matter what time of day.

Winter generally seems a bit worse here with the bigger scopes (not sure about smaller), with the Sun lower in the sky.

I regularly observe at 120x mag with my ED100 and Quark, it gives a much more detailed view than my SolarMax 60 at 50x mag (though of course is not as grab and go).

Grass generally seems better than concrete to me, though sometimes grass seems to have a dodgy period in the morning before settling down, my guess (which is probably wrong) is that it's something to do with dew burning off. The best seeing I have experienced so far this year was on holiday while the sun was over the sea, they do say over water can be good.

Archived