Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus slipping on Baader Steeltrack

Im just wondering if anybody has experienced similar or has any idea what may be wrong with my focuser at the moment......  Until a couple of weeks ago it worked perfectly, kept focus all night. Then I got one of them 2" twist lock adapters and as such had to change the focus position, now I find, from time to time that my focus shifts/slips, not by loads, maybe half a turn of the fine focus knob but enough to make my images useless!  Thing is, once I refocus it tends to hold it for the rest of the night, I had thought that maybe the twist lock adapter was no good but it seems solid enough to me, I have hand tightened it as much as I can, I can only assume that since I changed focus the steeltrack is somehow slipping? Anything I can do to tighten it up?

You could try the focus lock knob on the top. Turning it really tight may help. Remembering to unlock it to focus is sometimes a problem!. I used to have a steeltrack and found the lock knob helped. However, I would certainly suspect the twistlock adapter. You could try removing it and going back to the old system to see if it still moves.

ll I think I fixed it, had a look at the focused last night and tightened up some small Allan bolts, the whole focused is now much tighter and I after four hours of imagi last night I don't think it had slipped, but I never had a close look at the subs this morning so touch wood it's fine!

I think pretty much all focusers have this tendency to slip.  I had this issue on my Baader too.   Indeed, I also had these problems with my FSQ85, much to my annoyance on such an expensive piece of kit.  I have also tightened up that scope focuser and it is now fine.

Archived