SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing box/ obsy / shelter 2.0

Bubbles82

The original semi permanent set up of a shelter and post is undergoing some changes, this is again down to set up time. I am switching from a leisure battery powered set up to a bench PSU and mostly permanent wiring between the pier and the obsy/shelter. My intended final result is a pier with all the usb and power cables ready to go and a 10 minute set up time. I have also now blocked up around my pier and gone for more of a sentry box type Finnish again for ease and speed. The final finished product should be a simple put scope on mount plug in usb and 12v plugs ready to go [emoji3] I'm also choosing to keep all the cables above ground being fed through pipe between the pier and obsy, this is only because I like the idea of being able to get to the cables easily if and additions or changes are needed

Pics will follow of my progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few of the block work around the pier semi finished and the popes from obsy to pier, the pipes will be insulated and have a wood cover to match the sentry box so the cable ties and pipe clamps are hidden post-23724-142960235438_thumb.jpgpost-23724-142960236313_thumb.jpg

Have you had a trial run to check clearance of all your kit when it's on the pier. A fully loaded frac with a camera hanging off the end can get pretty close to a pier in certain positions. I was lucky last night with mine and managed to meridian flip before disaster.

[emoji106] I did do a check and my ed80 sits very far forward on the mout for balance so should be fine and I use a c11 for planetary so that's all good too but thanks for the advice good to know people look out for potential disasters to save us all any heartache [emoji1]

I have that PSU and it works very well for me :)  One point to note is that the two outputs are not indepandent - they are simply in parallel to give more room for cables.

Bit more progress yesterday I have completed the 12 v wiring to the six sockets at the pier, and tested that they all work. The sockets are housed under the top box on a waterproof box(pics to follow in next update) Next will be running the usb repeater cables to the pier, followed by some armoured cable to pier for an external power socket to power the usb hub if ever required. At the moment all my kit apart from my guide cam has its own 12supply for power so the hub doesn't need power to work but in the interest of making it a bit future proof I'm going to install the socket now incase I ever need it [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...

Total fail my idea has failed before its even finnished. Got to have a total rethink I'm now considering a totally different approach. The problem with the box I was building is the total height would be so tall to lift it up and over the mount it's not safe or stable it climb that heigh and then lift it over the mount. I'm now considering a 4x4 box round the whole pier with a split roof that flaps open , but will this be big enough bearing in mind this will only house the mount and scope as the warm room is already done and separate.

So after measuring up and double checking everything my new plan is a 5x5 box. This will have a flip open apex roof with guttering to cover the ridge like many have done before. My only question is how have people hinged this to accommodate an overhang. Badly drawn picture attached to explain where I mean. I need the roof to fold back to the horizontal point thanks in advance for any replies.0fe60e4a604623ba1a8659f9ef3dfa8b.jpg

post-23724-143101307156_thumb.jpg

Right then here goes this is my current set up box covers pier and electrics and I was about to box in cable pipe work. I then decided that to make it worth having the pier I needed to at least be able to leave the mount on all ready to go, this would require me to make the current box almost double the height that then gave me the problem of being able to lift the box up over the mount. So I now have to have a total rethink. This is made worse by the fact that most of my problems are caused by the location of the pier which I was forced to use because of the shape of the garden and peoples trees that they don't look after or even care about

This may work move old shed over  to go round mount post , make 2 doors for shed front or side of shed that make the shed go back or to left hand side again  put runners on floor ,shed on wheels, roll shed off you still got a warm room .

Had thought of this but what about the wiring between the shed and mount. The shed is hard wired inside and I use this post-23724-143101621063_thumb.jpg to plug the shed into the garage so that's not a problem. The 12v psu cables and usb cables ?

Right the roll off shed idea has really sparked an interest there is the space I need and the mods required to my shed/ obsy wouldn't be too hard at all after looking around at others roll off sheds my final question is how do you secure your roll off shed still when not in use to stop it blowing away in high winds ?

thanks for your reply, this was one of my original ideas and my biggest concern was stability in the wind. The area in the picture isn't my whole garden this is just the piece behind the garage the rest of the garden is quite big and is very open and this area is battered by any winds we get, couple that with the tall thin nature of a sentry box type shed and I think I would end up with a disaster. I have thought so hard about this because the sentry type box would be so easy to build but however I do this its going to to have to be substantial enough to hold with its own weight.

The box you have around the pier, while its to heavy to lift off, it could be made to hinge with all 4 sides dropping down and covering the base of the pier a simple lid made to fit over the box and held in place with toggle clamps, a system similar to the tailgate/side gates on a lorry to hold the box together while the lid is put on.......

Archived