Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 4th April re work

neil phillips

Hi Neil,

I was unsure about this image when I first saw it, but I have to say it has grown on me to the point that I really like it.  I like all the high frequency data that often gets softened in the pursuit of a more 'natural' image.

Cheers,

Chris

To be honest guys, coming away from the shot, and looking back. I am not sure I like it, I could say its because I pushed too hard. But I found unless I did that, it didn't really seem to have a huge effect. I actually thought the techniques seemed to work better on the other shot I posted. But there could be reasons for that, involving not setting the capture settings at my usual settings.

Hi Simon.

I used a combination of contrast stretching as usual, high pass filter on photo shop soft light, and domain transform filter on analyser. At first I thought the earlier shot I posted looked quite nice. but now I am unsure. The moon position on the earlier Jupiter shot is a matter of guesswork. because during capture it was off the planet at the end of the blue very much touching it. So I did about a inbetween distance on this second process. That I think is showing a little more promise for the techs. But I still don't like it. its pushed too far in my opinion. I will try and experiment on better data and see if I can get a better balance out of the techs. once noise is apparent its game over in my opinion. But even though I have controlled noise quite well here. the actual detail looks un natural to my eyes. But any new techs, not only take time to get right, Some just become a matter of taste. And this is certainly a acquired taste type processing. Back to the drawing board I think.

post-2700-0-43101600-1429644506.png

There's some nice fine detail coming through in this Neil - always a balance to pull this without pushing the noise up through the ceiling and it looks well executed on this process.   The second image is definitely the best to my eyes.

There's some nice fine detail coming through in this Neil - always a balance to pull this without pushing the noise up through the ceiling and it looks well executed on this process.   The second image is definitely the best to my eyes.

That's what I thought, it seemed to have worked better in the second. When I get locked into processing, I tend to get blinkered. I need time away for a re appraisal.

Its good that I am thinking about new techs, always good to experiment. Though I am un happy with either of them. Though there is indeed some good detail in the data. Havent really been doing much processing lately. So I am enjoying these experiments. Even if I am not happy with the result per se.

Cheers Jake

I like the detail in the 2nd image, but the colours seem wrong with far too much blue.  Though of course that could well be down to my laptop.

I think it is common to get blinkered while processing.  Many times I have been really pleased with an image only to look at it the next day and wonder what I was thinking!

Cheers,

Chris

I like the detail in the 2nd image, but the colours seem wrong with far too much blue.  Though of course that could well be down to my laptop.

I think it is common to get blinkered while processing.  Many times I have been really pleased with an image only to look at it the next day and wonder what I was thinking!

Cheers,

Chris

Exactly Chris after all these years I am still not immune. It happens less often if I am processing a lot. But more often if I have been away, like I have recently

I have two lappys here and they both show completely different views. Its annoying. Though there is more blue in that shot Chris. Not being happy with the processes, I wont bother tweaking it, I would otherwise.

1st looks very unbalanced with hazy soft areas almost like looking through thin cloud in the sky. 2nd image is better but to my eye looks too grainy and has that look of an image that has been work hard if you know what I mean Neil.

Yep Pretty  much agree with all that. When I came back  to the images much later after I had done them. I knew I didn't like them. But it has been pretty much a  experiment with techs I don't normally use. And either I have to use less of them or not at all.

Its a tough one Neil. Ive had another go at the frequency filter in IA and I like the way it enhances the fine detail but then you get the noise and dealing with that brings other issues like smearing or bloat

Yeah its something I will experiment with but may abandon. I don't think I like photoshops high pass filter. it seems to offer little that other things may be doing better. though I will experiment more with the settings

Would be worth persisting with a few repro's Neil. There is some good detail here.

Pete

Agreed  Pete. you know me for ever the experimenter. Though the more I click on these posts, the more I really don't like that processing.

So I will try and do a better job than this hatchet job for sure. Its funny how my original first post of the image looks quite natural. Were this is the opposite. But  using different techs, and trying to push hard, is worth doing, as a learning experience.

After all these years I still believe, there is much to learn. Don't think I particularly high pass sharpen on photoshop. its not the reason this went awol, as on its own it can sharpen the whites.

But in combination with  other techs, and a hammer fist. its clearly not right.

It wont be the only time experiments throw my judgment. But I really shouldn't have posted them. until I had time to digest how bad it actually was.

I know I am not the only one who suffers getting locked in, frim time to time. But I should know better.

this was the better of the pushed hards.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/242347-jupiter-earlier-on-the-14th

but the original is more me. though still not right.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241814-jupiter-14th-april/

Cheers Pete

Archived