Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elan finally delivers....

estwing

Third trip and bingo!...meeting up in dark skies with big mirrors is what its all about for me. We pulled up at our spot on Friday at 4pm and had the luxury of not rushing about like busy bee's trying to pitch tents before dark,scopes set up and cloud everywhere...Faulksy promised good skies! kettle on and as we were putting the world to rights the clouds cleared as darkness fell. Using Jupiter I set the telrad and finderscope up and slipped in the weapon of choice 21 ethos and swung to my first target M51 with spiral arms showing and the bridge evident it was looking good so across to M101and it was weak,poor even? strange when 51 looked so good. Copelands septet was still proving difficult to count,time and time going round trying to count them is very hard.M3 next and how wonderful it was jumping from faint galaxies to a Glob!, more power with the 8 ethos fantastic view!.M64 in coma berenices and my first look at the black eye galaxy, tick! back to globs with M13 always pleasing on the eye and even better in true dark skies as proved by M5... funny I've never seen this one before and as soon as it was in the 21e at 97x it had to have more power with the 8 ethos in I rested my eye upon the object...incredible! I called steve over and he confirmed it was an "enjoyable" view ( the 8e has now become my second fave ethos) it just throws you in there so close,HD like.M12,M10 and M14 all great sights on their own, paled away after M5. M57 middle star hunting ensued with mixed results...its was seen! no,maybe,YES! er no, damn I'm not bagging this until I'm sure and steve like me thought it was there...perhaps!.The veil also wasn't the greatest not showing much detail  but hey ho down into M11 the wild duck cluster and on into the steam of the teapot of Sagittarius to bring M17 the omega nebula onto john Nichols beautifully made mirror.Lots of detail here extending up and across and yet its still so low on the horizon...what a great view it was. The wind started to get up so by 4am me and steve turned in for the night with a head full of images that will live long in the memory...Saturday night was even better!!

We sure had some great views, that spot provides an awesome panorama.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That looks like one of those photos we get from folks in the SW of the USA, that make us all green with envy :Envy:

Lovely location both night and day :smiley:

Third trip and bingo!...meeting up in dark skies with big mirrors is what its all about for me. We pulled up at our spot on Friday at 4pm and had the luxury of not rushing about like busy bee's trying to pitch tents before dark,scopes set up and cloud everywhere...Faulksy promised good skies! kettle on and as we were putting the world to rights the clouds cleared as darkness fell. Using Jupiter I set the telrad and finderscope up and slipped in the weapon of choice 21 ethos and swung to my first target M51 with spiral arms showing and the bridge evident it was looking good so across to M101and it was weak,poor even? strange when 51 looked so good. Copelands septet was still proving difficult to count,time and time going round trying to count them is very hard.M3 next and how wonderful it was jumping from faint galaxies to a Glob!, more power with the 8 ethos fantastic view!.M64 in coma berenices and my first look at the black eye galaxy, tick! back to globs with M13 always pleasing on the eye and even better in true dark skies as proved by M5... funny I've never seen this one before and as soon as it was in the 21e at 97x it had to have more power with the 8 ethos in I rested my eye upon the object...incredible! I called steve over and he confirmed it was an "enjoyable" view ( the 8e has now become my second fave ethos) it just throws you in there so close,HD like.M12,M10 and M14 all great sights on their own, paled away after M5. M57 middle star hunting ensued with mixed results...its was seen! no,maybe,YES! er no, damn I'm not bagging this until I'm sure and steve like me thought it was there...perhaps!.The veil also wasn't the greatest not showing much detail  but hey ho down into M11 the wild duck cluster and on into the steam of the teapot of Sagittarius to bring M17 the omega nebula onto john Nichols beautifully made mirror.Lots of detail here extending up and across and yet its still so low on the horizon...what a great view it was. The wind started to get up so by 4am me and steve turned in for the night with a head full of images that will live long in the memory...Saturday night was even better!!

I was observing about 25 miles due North of you guys then! Friday and Saturday night were both good till about 2:30 am. I spent my time chasing down Mag 20 galaxies in the Hubble Deep Field area.

That looks like one of those photos we get from folks in the SW of the USA, that make us all green with envy :Envy:

Lovely location both night and day :smiley:

Yes I could see the comparison there to. Great report and a picture that just says it all.  

Archived