Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The sky is very big & mostly your field of view is small...so why......

pyrasanth

Do I capture a meteor or air plane more frequently than I like.....& those cosmic rays.......makes me scream when I saw a beautiful sub potentially ruined by a meteor or cosmic jaggy.......and worse an aircraft!

I suppose I would be complaining if I was trying to photograph meteors.....I could be annoyed then at how many pictures I would need to take to capture one......Murphy's law I guess in action! 

I'm a few miles from Birmingham Airport & not only do I capture the occasional aircraft but I also have to contend with con trails that stretch into ever thinning vapour  clouds- does nothing for the sky transparency!

We must be almost 30 miles from the nearest airport of any significant size (I think it would be Cardiff -- Bristol is probably a little further) and the little blighters still manage to mess things up sometimes.

James

Yep they are annoying alright, it is better later in the night though. Most planes will have landed and sats going past are less likely to flare when the sun is further below the horizon.

Even if there were no planes there would be something else, just think how frustrated Charles Messier must have been when he was looking for comets and all those pesky galaxies and nebulae kept getting in the way ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In deep sky imaging you take about ten or more subs and then use a Sigma reject stacking algorithm which rejects outliers (pixels with different values in just one sub.) Soç your trails will vanish. If you want to give the software a hand then there's this you might consider. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241995-remove-line-filter-in-astroart-50/

There is no need to reject subs with aircraft or sat trails. That would be crazy. I never do so.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I use CCD stack which has various sigma reject routines which work well. I was being a bit glib with this post as some forum users may not be aware of advanced image processing techniques like sigma reject & thus throw away trail affected subs which as you rightly pointed out can be saved.

If you use stacking software that displays the rejection pixels, then you can see the plane trails from the whole imaging run that the stacking has eradicated. I am continually amazed at how many there are in a few hours in a tiny area of sky and they all seem to be in slightly different directions!

Do I capture a meteor or air plane more frequently than I like.....& those cosmic rays.......makes me scream when I saw a beautiful sub potentially ruined by a meteor or cosmic jaggy.......and worse an aircraft!

I suppose I would be complaining if I was trying to photograph meteors.....I could be annoyed then at how many pictures I would need to take to capture one......Murphy's law I guess in action! 

You have my sympathy. I live about a couple of miles from Manchester airport and not only do I have to put up with the LP but endless flights of jets and helicopters, there is nothing that I could do to get away from this. Now they have got some Chinese money as well and are expanding the airport, they are actually building a new city of a sort. Sigma clipping does work to some extent provided there is enough subs to work from and not too many of them show the vapour trails or the lights.

A.G

In deep sky imaging you take about ten or more subs and then use a Sigma reject stacking algorithm which rejects outliers (pixels with different values in just one sub.) Soç your trails will vanish. If you want to give the software a hand then there's this you might consider. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241995-remove-line-filter-in-astroart-50/

There is no need to reject subs with aircraft or sat trails. That would be crazy. I never do so.

Olly

Absolutely! Winsorized sigma clipping in PI is particularly good at eliminating aircraft and satellite trails. The high sigma rejection image from a recent session looked like the start of a game of noughts and crosses but you'd have no hint of that looking at the master sub.  :smiley:

Regards

John

Maybe we should look upon Meteor/ites, cosmic rays and all other non-human effects as being something to eager learn more about, rather than something we should be 'selfishly screaming' about ???

Planes / (life born satellites) / human(space)-junk etc are however something entirely different - maybe something we should be 'unselfishly screaming' about ???

Can you can see geostationary sats? They are >22000 miles away so pretty tiny.

I assume they would show up as a star trail because the scope tracks past them but I would have thought that they would be very faint.

Can you can see geostationary sats? They are >22000 miles away so pretty tiny.

I assume they would show up as a star trail because the scope tracks past them but I would have thought that they would be very faint.

Yep - the sky around the Celestial Equator is littered with them . Something to bear in mind if you are imaging round about 0 degrees declination. They appear as trails in tracked images or points of light among the star trails in fixed mount images.

Archived