Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ghost of Jupiter

It was a clear here last night and I had my 10 x 50s to hand while I was doing some imaging with my telescope. I tried to pick out possible star hops to some new objects and I decided to have a look for the planetary nebula C59, NGC 3242, The Ghost of Jupiter. I wasn't expecting to see anything much but, sure enough, there was a "bright" stellar looking object in just the right place. Judging by neighbouring stars it was getting on for mag. 9 and too bright for anything else close to it. I later had a look with my 200p and, sure enough, there was a fuzzy ball just where I thought it should be with my bins. It does take a lot of magnification although there were no obvious features, even at 200x with a UHC filter.

It's maybe not the most exciting object to look out for but, so far, it's the only planetary that I've clearly managed to view with my bins. I've never been fully convinced that I can see M57 even given that it's more tightly bracketed in Lyra. I think that C59 well worth a visit when you have the chance.

Archived