SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Switch from APT to BYEOS?

I've been using APT for many years now for astroimaging with a DSLR.  It's given me some great pictures.  I did originally try BYEOS but decided that APT gave me just a little bit more.  However, both programs have moved on since then and I've recently had cause to re-evaluate this decision.

Whilst both packages are excellent, I'm getting the feeling that APT's focus (no pun intended) is shifting a bit away from DSLR towards CCD and the development is concentrating less on improving core DSLR imaging features. 

Having looked again at a trial version of BYEOS I am struck by how it seems to have a more intuitive feel.  I particularly like the frame and focus, easy to use image preview, and screen stretch features which seem to be not as advanced or lacking in APT.

I know many other people have tried APT and BYEOS, what are you're experiences of the comparative merits of the two programs?

Thanks

Okay
After a couple of evenings testing I’ve concluded that neither program gives me everything I want.  Both bits of software are excellent and the differences between them are, I feel, one of emphasis.  For me, both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

BackyardEOS
Things I particularly like
• The whole interface is mostly easier to use and more intuitive than APT, with tools automatically appearing depending upon which screen you choose.
• The whole ‘frame and focus’ screen I think works particularly well.  With its simple ‘no save’ snap shot function; snap shot looping and user editable non-linear screen stretch; it’s pretty simple to use. (It would be even better if I could use the lens focussing controls whilst running a snap shot looping sequence)
• Preview button in the ‘Imaging’ screen.
• Plan editing is much simpler than in APT
• Very simple to access images for review
• Option for user ‘marking’ of subs (Good, moderate, poor, delete) as they come in (or later).

APT
Things I particularly liked
• Clear, easy and very informative plan progress information which is visible along with a details of how I have configured my present plan still visible.

Wish list for both BYEOS and APT
• Ability to alter/add to/delete parts of plan whilst they are still running  with changes coming into effect once present sub has finished (but without actually stopping the plan and he software marking subs as “incomplete”)
• Ability to control camera lens focus whilst doing snap shot loop sequence

APT seems to have lots of extra clever functionality such as autofocussing routines; telescope GOTO commands; two camera synchronisation and dithering;  and I gather will soon hoping to include in-built plate solving.   However, I find myself hankering after a slightly simpler approach with more emphasis on ease (and speed) of use.

BackyardEOS seem to less technically advanced than APT, they have developed a largely very well thought out and very clever interface that gives me more of the simple image framing and focusing tools I’m after.  Unfortunately the display is (for me) let down significantly by information-poor session progress displays.

So how do I use this information?  Well one option would be to use Backyard EOS for setting up a shot and APT for executing the imaging plan.  I may get around to using APT's extra features at a later date. 

The difference I feel appears to be one of approach.  BackyardEOS has an emphasis on the user interface and ease of use whilst APT's approach seems to place more emphasis on providing a technological solution.

Both author's should be applauded for their efforts.  Thanks guys

Hi Mike

Have to say as purely a ccd user APT is becoming my software of choice for an obs session mainly as its so easy to use with multi ccd setups. I`ve tried most if not all scope/ccd software control packages even with Linux/Ekos and APT has so far been the best at least for my use. I understand Ivo has platesolving planned for 2.90 which should enhance it even more. I don`t have a DSLR (although keep looking longingly at them in mags :laugh: ).  Doesn`t help you one bit with your post but though I`d add my twopennuth :grin:

cheers

Steve

Archived