Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 14 April 21:44UT

cgarry

This was a slightly rushed imaging session that I only started after receiving a text from a friend giving me the heads up that the seeing was good.  Unfortunately there was initially some patchy low cloud blowing across which prevented me from getting a capture before the GRS went out of view.

All was not lost though as the cloud did clear and I was able to get a set of RGB captures for this image:

post-9259-0-44230600-1429460487.png

Not the world's greatest image, but I am happy enough imaging Jupiter this late in the season.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks again for all the comments.

...we're nothing if not optimists Chris - but a very nice image here regardless!  :)

In this case it turned out to be misplaced optimism with the seeing last night being back to its normal poor self!

Excellent image from the ASI174 Chris and some nice detail resolved. What is the white oval to centre below SEB? Looks too pale for Junior, but a significant size.

It is definitely not Junior, but you are right that it is a significant size.  It should be easy enough to see this in other images as it is pretty much in the centre of the disc as the GRS has just gone out of view.

Unfortunately there do not seem to be any other images of Jupiter, taken at around this time with a large image scale posted here for comparison.  I am a little surprised at this because good seeing, especially on a non-school night, normally brings a flood of quality for us to enjoy.  Maybe most others have already given up on Jupiter this season or were put off by the high winds during the day.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived