Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way from Devon...

I took some data last night for a time-lapse and just as I was winding up figured a few shots to the south might look quite nice. Here's a single 25 second exposure using a 14mm Samyang lens, ISO 3200 through a Canon 6D...

The view is looking from east on the left through to south west on the right - the orange glow is mostly from Exeter 8 miles away... I think there's a quarry due south hence the white patch of LP on the horizon.The Coathanger is visible at the top to the left and Saturn is there in Scorpius.

It was a good night :) Only 22GB of data to edit and string together.... I shouldn't complain, in a couple of months it won't be dark enough!!

James

post-649-0-94090700-1429443249_thumb.jpg

That's very nice James, especially as it is a single sub. I wonder if LP is in any of the parties election manifestos? :rolleyes2:

Don't want to get into politics and get my knuckles rapped but I suspect not :)... where I am has pretty good skies but a new town is part way through being built - the extra LP is already fairly obvious but luckily it's in the same general direction as Exeter so it's only making a bad aspect a little worse rather than screwing any other aspect up. For some reason the new town has streetlights that are nearly full cutoff but are mounted at a considerable height.

I'm conscious the skies are better than many others' - better than Lucksall for example so I really shouldn't whinge!

James

I liked the image when I saw it on Facebook, it's even better here (Facebook compress the hell out of images).

I think you're skies are better than mine, and that image is great. There is something really special about wide field Milkyway shots.

I'm jealous as I've never managed a good one and I've tried a number of times :(

Ant

That's lovely James :)  By coincidence I captured The Milky Way just before dawn this morning in an AVI file from my All Sky Camera that I'm developing - it was great to see it when I played back the overnight AVI :)

Archived