Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OSX + Nebulosity + Atik 16IC-c

niknak

HI folks

Trying to get a little Atik 16IC-c to work in Nebulosity 3.3.

It appears to connect using "Atik Legacy" on the camera selector dropdown.

As soon as try and do anything (such as click "preview") it hangs.

Any suggestions ??

I was wondering if it might be the camera itself ?

Although the fact that Neb picks it up would tend to suggest its working.

Anyone know a good way to test it on a Mac ??

The intention was to have a play with it as an imaging cam to see what it was capable of and then probably use it a s guide cam using PHD2.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atik 16IC has its own specific driver in the Neb 3.3. Try and choose this from the drop down list and see what happens. Also try Atik's own Artemis Capture as it should not have any problem with any Atik camera.

A.G

I believe Artemis is windows only.

Obviously testing the camera in windows may be a good idea anyway if you don't get anywhere.

Does it work ok in phd2?

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Atik 16IC has its own specific driver in the Neb 3.3. Try and choose this from the drop down list and see what happens. Also try Atik's own Artemis Capture as it should not have any problem with any Atik camera.

A.G

Hi.

Ive attached a quick screen shot (please excuse the crude nature of the labelling).

Under the menu (labelled 1) i only get the options of Atik or Atik Legacy.

After choosing the legacy option I then get the message (labelled 2) the the atik 16ic-c has connected.

Nothing appears in the main window though :(

atikneb.jpg

Hi.

Ive attached a quick screen shot (please excuse the crude nature of the labelling).

Under the menu (labelled 1) i only get the options of Atik or Atik Legacy.

After choosing the legacy option I then get the message (labelled 2) the the atik 16ic-c has connected.

Nothing appears in the main window though :(

atikneb.jpg

I am very sorry, it seems that the Neb for OSX is different to the one for the Windows as there is a full list of cameras available under the Windows version. You may have to try Artemis capture under a virtual machine software on the mac.

A.G

I believe Artemis is windows only.

Obviously testing the camera in windows may be a good idea anyway if you don't get anywhere.

Does it work ok in phd2?

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Just loaded artemis onto a PC and plugged it in.

Just get a failed to connect message constantly :(

Ideas ??

Just loaded artemis onto a PC and plugged it in.

Just get a failed to connect message constantly :(

Ideas ??

Check the USB cable and if possible use another one. It is worth paying extra for a good USB cable. If the cable is fine then the USB connection maybe faulty or loose. Curious as Neb seems to find the camera.

A.G

Give oaCapture a try.  I believe it should work with the 16IC on OSX.  If you can get an image from that it will at least move you forward a little.

James

Just tried OAcapture.

Nada :(

Rescanned a couple of times and swapped the usb cable around but it can't even see it :(

Hi,

The legacy cameras use a FTDI ChipID authorisation (basically a number that needs to be supplied to the camera). Without this - what happens is that the camera functions but doesn't provide any image data - hence the hang.

As the FTDI ChipID library written by FTDI is pretty much defunct, the way todo this us use a chipId program on a PC - this gives the serial number -> FTDIChipID pair for your camera, then input that serial number and ChipID into Nebulosity. I think the current release allows you to input the serial number but not the FTDIChipID - however I think the later, unreleased, version will allow both.

For the 16IC it should be Legacy in the neb 3.3 release.

Nick

Hi,

The legacy cameras use a FTDI ChipID authorisation (basically a number that needs to be supplied to the camera). Without this - what happens is that the camera functions but doesn't provide any image data - hence the hang.

As the FTDI ChipID library written by FTDI is pretty much defunct, the way todo this us use a chipId program on a PC - this gives the serial number -> FTDIChipID pair for your camera, then input that serial number and ChipID into Nebulosity. I think the current release allows you to input the serial number but not the FTDIChipID - however I think the later, unreleased, version will allow both.

For the 16IC it should be Legacy in the neb 3.3 release.

Nick

Hi Nick.

I have downloaded the FTDIChipID program and tried to obtain the s/n and chipID but failed. It just doesn't see the camera.

That was on a win7 desktop machine and I followed the instructions in the Developers guide.

Has this happened before ??

Hi Nick.

I have downloaded the FTDIChipID program and tried to obtain the s/n and chipID but failed. It just doesn't see the camera.

That was on a win7 desktop machine and I followed the instructions in the Developers guide.

Has this happened before ??

Hmm something's not quite right if the camera isn't been seen - it could be that the DLLs aren't in the right place on the windows machine.

Was it the binary from here? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192900-atik-osx-drivers-r100-example-app/?p=2019005

The windows FTDI Drivers and the FTDI ChipID library will need to be installed if needed.

Once we have that working we can try the example app ( http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192900-atik-osx-drivers-r100-example-app/?p=2323410 ) and check that the serial number ftdichipid are working (there's a preferences > legacy tab and under that tab there's a table that allows you to add your serial number and chipid for the example app).

The ExampleApp is a good tool for trouble shooting - basically it will attempt to grab all the connected cameras automatically for testing.

Is it perhaps worth checking that the camera shows up if you do "About this Mac" -> System Report, under Hardware/USB ?

Just to make sure that OSX actually sees a connected device...

James

Is it perhaps worth checking that the camera shows up if you do "About this Mac" -> System Report, under Hardware/USB ?

Just to make sure that OSX actually sees a connected device...

James

True.. however if the camera shows up in nebulosity but then you can't take a photo it's down to the ftdichipid.

The ftdichipid program is a windows command line app - however the camera should show up on the device manager.

I'm sounding a little flat - end of a few days of heavy gardening (scarifying lawn etc).

If you could tell me what the values for the USB Vendor Id and Product Id are if it does show up, that might enable me to at least explain why oaCapture can't find it.

James

Hi James.

Here you go

ATK 16IC Colour Camera:

Product ID: 0xdf36

Vendor ID: 0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)

Version: 6.00

Serial Number: A3001QH8

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: ATIK

Location ID: 0xfd120000 / 4

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

Hmm something's not quite right if the camera isn't been seen - it could be that the DLLs aren't in the right place on the windows machine.

Was it the binary from here? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192900-atik-osx-drivers-r100-example-app/?p=2019005

The windows FTDI Drivers and the FTDI ChipID library will need to be installed if needed.

Nick,

Can I get the s/n and chipID from phd2 ???

There is a button that says "cam dialog" that once clicked brings up a window called "Atik Camera Config" which appears to have that data at the bottom ??

atik3.jpg

I have just redownloaded he binary to make sure it was the correct one.

Once the program runs it displays (in a little pop up pane) the following .....

DLL Version = 1.1.0

Get Chip IDs using handle

0 FTDI devices connected

Press return to exit.

Perhaps as you say the two dlls need putting somewhere specific for it to work properly ??

Any ideas ??

Hmm I'm not an expert but if you run a cmd window in the same directory with the chipid and ftdi in the same directory. Then run the chipid command form the command line window. This is how I've done it in the past.

Does the camera show up in the device manager? Normally the atik cameras on windows show up under the window - regardless if they're being used or not.

Some of the serial number - ftdi chip ids are the same but from experience in trouble shooting with Craig Stark for users, it can vary - I'm assuming yours may not be the same. Should try it - just to see if it works (using the OpenPHD2 default mappings - which are my 16IC mono camera values).

I can't run a windows install on this laptop and can't get to the mini atm. Can you try the above first?

Also.. if you use the OpenPHD2 on the mac, you could switch on the debugging trace, then connect to the camera.

You should then see something about validating the VPID as part of the log - it will also tell you if the default version worked or not.

Hmm I'm not an expert but if you run a cmd window in the same directory with the chipid and ftdi in the same directory. Then run the chipid command form the command line window. This is how I've done it in the past.

Does the camera show up in the device manager? Normally the atik cameras on windows show up under the window - regardless if they're being used or not.

Some of the serial number - ftdi chip ids are the same but from experience in trouble shooting with Craig Stark for users, it can vary - I'm assuming yours may not be the same. Should try it - just to see if it works (using the OpenPHD2 default mappings - which are my 16IC mono camera values).

I can't run a windows install on this laptop and can't get to the mini atm. Can you try the above first?

Ok. I have tried double clicking the GetFTDIChiID.exe and opening it from a command prompt but get the same result each time (ie it cant find any FTDI devices)

The camera does show up in the device manager (albeit without a driver)

I have opened the ExampleApplication  and put in the default mappings obtained from PHD2 but to no avail :(

Archived