SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Okay so I have decided on saving up for some BSTs. Which ones would you recommend, I was thinking for my F/5.91 Dob  8mm 15mm 25mm, what do you think? And are any better than the other? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have gone for 8mm, 12mm and 25mm.

I do not use barlows so the idea of barlowing a 25 to be 12.5 I tend not to consider.

People say the 25 is not the best but it is a case of one has to be rated less better then the others and for whatever reason the 25 pulled the short straw, it is however good, I suspect people "complain" about the edges which on a 25mm I can half understand.

8mm is usually spoken of as good, enough magnification and not too much so it is performing well within limits and not going to be playing in the wide field area. So it is operating in a nice comfort area.

I have the 12.5 BST, its a nice, well made EP and is probably one of the most comfortable EP's to use. So far, it has proven itself. I have used it with the Revelation Barlow and noticed no degradation in IQ. I will be buying the 6 next.

I assume that the 12.5 BST and 6mm refer to the premium plossl's that are listed. ???

Good to know they work well, unless someone says it makes it a little difficult to suggest purchasing them.

What would you substitute for a 25mm? A different brand or a different focal length

I would recommend the Baader Classic Plossl 32mm, or better still (at a cost), the Tele Vue 32mm Plossl.  Another alternative is the Vixen NPL at 30mm.  All good ep's in the mid-range price band.

So is the 25mm really bad or what is wrong with it?

Hi there, there is nothing really wrong with it in itself, it just does not stand up to a comparison with the shorter focal lengths, which are exceptional, esp. the 12mm and the 18mm.  I have the 25mm' and am quite happy with it, but prefer the TV 32mm Plossl for deep sky.  The poor opinion of the 25mm was rooted in a Cloudy Nights review and after that everybody repeated what they had read there, without necessarily the experience of trying it, review here (on the AT Paradigm, exactly the same ep, just a different (the original) branding): http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/cn-reports/eyepiece-reports/first-look-astro-tech-paradigm-eyepieces-r1845

I'd second the suggestion of the Maxvision 24mm, but you'll have to find one second hand. When you find someone dumb enough to sell one (like me!) they tend to go for £55-60. The thing is, the same eyepiece with a Meade badge wrapped round it cost more than £170 (from memory) and was one of the highest rated EPs in it's class at any price. The only problem it creates is that to improve on it in pure image quality terms, will cost you the far side of £300 and even then, that difference would only really be apparent at the edges in a sub F5 scope.

There is nothing wrong with the 25mm BST, but longer focal length EPs ask harder questions in terms of edge correction. Despite the manifest qualities of the BSTs, they're not super-human and the 25mm is pushing that boundary in short FL scopes that it takes a more expensive design to deal with. The shorter focal length BSTs duck this issue and are thoroughly recommended and all are fine above F6.

I'd also second the suggestion of the 12 rather than 15mm BST. I know it sounds like a massive jump, but if it's a choice of three EPs, the 100x magnification the 12mm will give will make it pretty much you workhorse EP, whereas the 15mm falls a little short in power.

Russell

Will the 12mm be alright for DSOs or is there too much mag?

It will be perfect for all but the largest ones. Globs, etc might appreciate a little more from something like an 8mm at 150x and that will work nicely for planets too.

If you want a suggestion, the SW Panaview 32mm would work well in your scope, but I'd hold out for that Maxvision which will give a much darker background.

Russell

What Russ said he and few others recommended the Maxvisions for my 4.5 dob I had they are a great eyepiece better in my opinion than the best and not much more expensive I had previously the whole set of Bst there good but I'm hooked on the Maxvisions wider field also so bonus .

Hello dom,

im another starguider fan, i currently have 4 and will probably add more to the herd!

i got all mine from stl, i bought all of them together and was able to negotiate a price by contacting him direct.

f1 telescopes currently have maxvision 24mm, i have not used this retailer.

al

At Robtics (the Hague), the Maxvisions have gone up in price. The new (and old) prices are:

68 degrees

16mm  € 79    (59)

20mm  € 80    (69)

24mm  € 90    (79)

28mm  € 110  (95)

34mm  € 135  (119)

40mm  € 170  (149)

82 degrees

18mm  € 129  (109)

24mm  € 159  (149)

They're still very good of course, just not as grandiose a bargain any more. They must be getting scarce. 

Still highly recommended.

Archived