Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

32mm wide angle EP

Hi, you just need to do a lot of research and or try other ep's at a local astronomy club. What suits one person my not suit another. Failing that I just did a lot of research and asked questions like you. I decided on a vixen 30mm npl. It feels quite well put together and weighty compared to the stock ep the 200p comes with. I find this ep great and have had no problems with it in my 200p. I use 30mm for all my galaxy and cluster hunting.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

My most favourite EP ever was my 32mm GSO. It only had an AFOV of 50 degrees but looking through it it felt like more. I dropped it and the lens cracked. I replaced it with a 30mm Vixen NPL.  I love the Vixen NPL range and own 3 of them (8,15,30mm). 

Lots of people like it - it does suffer from poor correction at the edge but thats true of almost any budget wide angle.  Personally I liked mine a lot.  Bear in mind most of the EPs in this class are quite heavy so you may need some back end weight on a dob to maintain a good balance.

The 32mm was one of my faves and I know I am not alone on this but the best advice is to try before you buy if at all possible.

Well I took your advise and Ordered  the 32mm panaview from Flo. it was here the following day, GREAT service from Flo (thanks Steve and crew ). But of course we then got clouds for the next couple of nights.

But tonight, most of  the clouds vanished, leaving just a few patches of Haze. So out came my new EP and WOW , what a view, I'm made up with it. Searching for objects in the night sky just became so much easier.

I had intended to go out equipped with my copy of Turn Left at Orion, my telrad and new EP with the intention of following  the directions in the book. Well that didn't happen, once that EP was in my scope, I was just lost in the views. I could have sat all night, the eye relief made viewing so easy that there was no strain on the eyes at all. It was only the clouds returning that brought me in.

But it was so enjoyable that I just had to come on here and let you know how much I appreciate all the advise I have been given by this forum.

Thank you ALL

Frank

Glad its worked out - it is a very nice EP and one of the most comfortable I think I have ever used - if not the most comfortable.  I never found the edge aberrations an issue but some people say they find them distracting.  Theoretically its generates too large an exit pupil which should mute contrast but I never saw that in mine and lots of other owners say the same - its probably one of those things thats right in theory but not borne out in practice.

Enjoy cruising with the EP - I know I did.

Sounds like a good "bang for buck " I was looking into the 32mm Panaview myself due to its affordability, my previous "would be purchase " may cost me over £200 for similar FL, mind it has a 82° AFOV. I just might sacrifice that bit of sky, if it saves me a heap.

Aldebaran, your Maxvision 24mm / 82 degree will be showing nearly 90% as much sky as the Panaview 32mm will show and it's likely to be sharper further across the field of view than the Panaview is. What is an additional 10% of sky with slightly distorted stars worth to you ?. Just a thought.

Thanks John I didn't think about that. The other eyepiece I had in mind was the 30mm 82° which shows exactly 25% more sky than my 24mm, I think I'm trying to attain that really immersive experience in wide field low power views but it's hard to justify an empty wallet for. Unless it's only the likes of the Ethos which true immersion can be achieved?

You don't need and Ethos to get immersive views. I'd have thought your 24mm 82 Maxvision would be great for that :smiley:

One of my favourites was the Nagler 20mm Type 5 and your 24mm / 82 is close to the same spec.

Archived