Narrowband

EPs for a 200P dob

Okay so I know I've posted this before but that was for a 130P

What are the best eyepieces for a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P, I', currently using stock EPs. I'm on quite a tight budget so I'm looking for something £40 and below, I may save up for BST starguiders but I will have to deal with the stocks for a while, Is it worth it? I was originally going to go for revelation but people saying 'you get what you pay for' put me off. Then I was looking a NPLs but people said the build quality is bad. Then I looked at the celestron Omni plossls but heard it has tiny unbearable exit pupils. Are plossls suitable for planetary or are they best for wideish fields? And will my scope being F/5.91 make any difference?

This is basically the same question you have asked in the eyepiece section and as far as I am concerned the answer is the same. The simple fact is the choice of eyepieces below 40 pounds is a bit limited , I still maintain BST's or secondhand.

It is not only the Celestron Plossl that has tight eye-relief they all have at the shorter end, I find even 11mm a bit on the tight side. I use Plossl eyepieces only for planetary (50ish degrees) or orthoscopics which again are tight ER at the shorter focal lengths and only a small field of view at 40 degrees.

You may be able to also find a S/H Maxvision for around the 50 pounds mark which are very good eyepieces. They were once a Meade order which was cancelled for some reason and re-badged, with Meade dressing they were over 100 pounds each.

I really think BST's are your answer.

Nothing wrong with the Revelation's but they are still fairly budget plossl's. Vixen NPL's are good the drawback seems really to be the outer is on the plasticy side and this drags down the appreciation of the optics. But the idea is to look through them not so much at them.

Exit pupil is a function of the scope and eyepiece, so that varies as a rule.

At f/5.9 you should be OK with plossl's, all short plossls are a pain in the rear - go look at TV, their plossl's stop at 8mm and I suspect there is a reason for this.

Really getting less BST's would I think be a better option.

They are also say £14 more each then the Vixens, so not a great difference.

4x NPL = £150(assumed a 30mm in the 4), 3x BST = £147.

One skight concern is that if you are going planet observing then the X-Cels offer a better selection at the shrt focal lenghs.

BST = 5mm, 8mm, 12mm

X-Cel = 5mm, 7mm, 9mm, 12mm.

Problem is X-Cels cost £59, BST's are £49.

THe BST's are a set you are likely to keep, simply little reason to sell them on even if you bought say TV Delos, the BST's are good for times when you do not ant to use the more expensive ones. They also perform so good you may just not want anything more. I have the set and I intend them to stay with me ad infinitum.

365 Astro do Lacetera eyepieces, ask if anyone has experience of these.

Depending on how often you like nudging the Dob, The starguiders 60° afov shouldn't keep you too busy, personally wouldn't want anything shorter than say 10mm for planetary, that's where the 68°-82° Ep's come into play, like the aforementioned maxvisions.

I can't find them?

It still works for me but you could try clicking on the "Manufacturer" listing option at the top left of the page then selecting "Lacerta". The BST Explorers are around halfway down the page that opens up when you select "Lacerta" and then "show".

Archived