SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

82° eyepieces choice

Hi everyone,

Since the recent arrival of my new celestron evolution 9,2 I started considering the purchase of some serious eyepieces (at the moment all I have is the eyepieces kit from celestron coming with the fancy metal case). Considering the long focal length of my scope I was oriented toward a series of eyepieces with a bigger FOV.

I started considering the idea of purchasing some 82° eyepieces but I do not know which brand... so far I was considering the Celestron Luminous (but I'm afraid because of the EOFB issue), the explore scientific and the tele vue.

So far I wasn't able to figure out which brand is the best. 

I was also considering the Celestron Ultima LX series but it has "only" a 70° FOV... 

Can you help me?

Thx

Freedom,

A budget would help everyone as they can cost from about 70 pounds to close on 500 pounds. Also what sort of focal length did you have in mind or magnification, scope details would also great help people answer your question.

Alan

The scope's aperture is 9,25 inches and the focal length is 2350mm. 

About the budget I'm open to spend up to 150 pounds for short focal length eyepieces and up to 300 pounds for long focal length eyepieces.

I was blanning to buy 3 or 4 eyepieces to cover the range between 4mm to 32mm

The scope's aperture is 9,25 inches and the focal length is 2350mm. 

I was blanning to buy 3 or 4 eyepieces to cover the range between 4mm to 32mm

Hi, with your scope I would be looking for eyepieces from about 12mm to 42mm, anything higher than that wouldn't get used much. The most used eyepieces in my C8 are the ES100 14 and 20mm which I can highly recommend :) 

Have to agree with Chris there I have a bigger SC and I rarely use shorter than 14mm though my focal length is greater. I would set 10mm as you minimum and even that will not see so much scope time.

I would also go for a wide field at around 35mm if you have a dark sky. The other great news is you don't really need the likes of Tele-vue and the cost involved, ExSc will be plenty good enough or Maxvision/Meade S 5000 eyepieces are all very good.

I think I would go for something like, and I am thinking Ex Sc / Meade ranges here.  1,  34mm SWA,  2,  24mm UWA,  3,  16mm SWA or 18mm UWA    and  4, an ExSc 11mm UWA. A lot will depend on what you interests are but for general this and that, it is what I would choose. There is also a 14mm UWA that could go in position 3

hope this of some help, no doubt other will think different which is why the hobby is such fun.

Alan

Actually, I also agree with Alan. My set up is completely different except for the f ratio. I highly recommend the Maxvisions - at that ratio they are virtually as good as Televue plossls but with wider field of view and more eyerelief. They also have excellent build quality.

I have a similar scope (the C8) and have Naglers as 82deg crowd: 31mm Type 5, and 22mm, 17mm and 12mm Type 4. I used to have a Meade series 5000 14mm UWA which worked fine except that the eye relief was a touch short. The MaxVision/Explore Scientific 82 deg ones are very similar in design: fine for those without glasses, eye relief too short for most of us with glasses.

Aldebaran,

I don't recall Max Vision doing the 18mm but they did have the 24mm UWA at one time, maybe the stock has gone now, if the OP waits his chance they pop up on the S/H Astro B&S site from time to time. The 18mm UWA was the only one from the Meade ranges that I have never either owned or had on loan, the other that escaped me was the 40mm 5K Super Plossl but I have that in the cabinet, it's not that brilliant in fact.

Alan

I'm not sure if it's already gone but I do remember a maxvision was up on the classifieds here not long ago.

I think that they were mostly the 68° versions. I'm in the process of upgrading the lower mags to the ES 82°. Can't quite stretch to the Naglers. And Delos don't go above 17mm.

Paul

Hi,

Buying eyepieces is always a difficult task....

I find going to star parties a good idea, as it gives you a chance to see the various combinations in action.

The users are often happy to show you the advantages and disadvantages of their equipment.

If you have an iPad there is an app called AstroAid which allows you to simulate the various combinations.

In my view it is a good app, only drawback is the it does not do the planets or the Moon.

I own an ES Maxvision 24 82 fov, and have no intention of selling it!!!

I also have Televue eyepieces, their quality is very good.

You should be able to pick Maxvision or Meade 24 82 ( same eyepiece I believe) for £100 to £120 secondhand.

Best of Luck.

Cheers

Adrian

A word of advice to the OP - If you are going to fill your boots with ES82s (or 100s) I'd do it fast. The continued weakness of the Euro is seeing each individual delivery of ES EPs increase. The 1.25" were 139 Euro as little as a couple of months ago, but are now 159. For the first time in forever, it's actually cheaper to buy some of them in the UK.

@ Alan - I hadn't noticed it either, but the Maxvision 18mm UWA is in there and at 109 Euro, I can't think of a reason against buying it? That's a ridiculous amount of EP for £87 delivered.  :Envy:

Russell

Hi, thank you for your answers!

I think that I'll go for a 14mm ES and a 8,8mm ES

I was also looking for a 5mm... the 4,7mm from ES is to short. I was considering an X-Cel LX from celestron or an Ultima LX... or a 5mm Maede but I do not find a maede online reseller shipping in europe.

I will say it again, 5mm is way too short on your scope, even 8.8 is really but if that is what you want don't let me stop you, 10mm will give you X230 I believe, this is really useable about 70% of the time in the UK, though you may be better off where you are, 5mm will give you way over X400 and apart from very rippley view of the Moon that's all you will get, in my view it will be a waste of money.

Alan

Yesterday my new C9,25 got his first light and managed to experiment with the eyepieces I already have...

Jupiter was great (best view was obtained with 10mm... sharp and detailed image whereas with the 8mm the image started to be a little bit fuzzy)!

M3 was another super view... with the 13mm I was able to perfectly resolve the stars of the cluster! Tried with the 10mm but the image was dimmer and harder to focus... the gain in magnification did not compensate the quality loss.

M104 was nice with the 40mm (although dim), with the 13mm was fainter but using the UHC the sombrero shape was more evident!

I think that I'll order the 14mm and the 11mm from ES and will consider the purchase of a 2" star diagonal for 2" Eypieces.

Hi, thank you for your answers!

I think that I'll go for a 14mm ES and a 8,8mm ES

I was also looking for a 5mm... the 4,7mm from ES is to short. I was considering an X-Cel LX from celestron or an Ultima LX... or a 5mm Maede but I do not find a maede online reseller shipping in europe.

The 8.8 gives a mag of 267, way too much for average seeing conditions, except perhaps on the Moon, anything like a 5mm or similar will not be useable.  Remember telescopes are not about magnification.

Until the new scope I was a firm believer in the X170 ish for Jupiter and that of course still holds true.

However I find now with the extra mirror size i can push to over X200 and things are still as good. That first night with X253 and the 9mm Nagler will stay with me, it was also about the best night seeing wise I have seen for over a year.

interesting that last time out I was using 13mm E on the same target with X175 and stayed there.

Alan

Archived