Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier design problem

AlistairW

So everything was going well .... The adaptor I bought was on top the metal plates ....

post-41386-0-67078500-1429303545.jpg

Then I lined up the alt\az hole section

post-41386-0-15973500-1429303594.jpg

But now I find the position of where the alt\az bolt hole is , - is against the mount body. So there is no way to attach a bolt. (Sorry this picture not so good)

post-41386-0-33298800-1429303647.jpg

Not sure what to do, looks like the mounting plate is the wrong size. I guess I could drill hole nearer the centre, but that's not guaranteed to work, plus it's not going to have a screw thread.

Any idea from engineers out there ?

Thanks

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

It looks like the existing holes is too far out from the centre.

The best option is to drill and tap a new hole. Pop to a local engineering shop to get it done which shouldn't cost much more than a couple of beers.

Alternatively with out having to tap a thread, there might be  room to drill and counter bore the bottom face of the adaptor to fit a socket head bolt.

The bolt would be fitted upwards through the plate and fixed with a nut on the top face. The bolt would be made long enough so it becomes

the azimuth peg, with a couple of flats filed on the sides to give the adjustment screws a face to press against.

You'd need to check there is actually enough clearance for the nut to sit in the space arrowed in your second photo.

Cheers, Dave.

Archived