SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

another total newbie

RATFACE

hi all am mark from warwickshire uk,  i am total  a newbie  to this but i have alway's said that i would get into this hobby when i was a young lad, but it have taken us 40 odd years to get round to it. any way i looked around at different telescopes and their is so many to choose from and i was pulling my hair out choosing (not much on top ) so in the end i jump in for an skywatcher heritage 114p virtuoso for by budget at the moment but prob do some upgrades at later stage.i love to take some still photo's of any star's /planets etc  . so i haven't used it yet so can some tell us if i have made an good choice or bad one? on this telescope. if so would the synscan az be a good choice to add on? would it be possible to cornect an camera or micro usb camera to this telescope ,which extra lens would i need to get ?.

am going to stop now asking too many questions or you's will be fed up with us very quickly.

cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey welcome, since you're in Warwickshire, try and get up to the Burton Dassett hills when there's not much humidity in the air.  If you can make it up when it's snowed, the seeing and visual is second to none up there! I used to live up there, and you got some nice dark spots around, just don't find yourself getting interrogated by some Army guys for setting up a scope just outside the barracks, like I did once! :D 

A 114 is a good starter, I'm guessing that's around the equivalent of a 70(ish) refractor, with my 90mm I got some decent views of Mars when it was closer and the seeing was good at that time, checked out Jupiter once or twice, Saturn was a little difficult, being drowned out by LP near the horizon.  When I get the scope out, I mainly check out clusters, easy DSO's, Moon shots and splitting double stars. Your f/ratio will be something like a f/4, so you can have a lot of fun with it.  Other more experiences members can give you loads of tips but my experience with newts is limited really. 

Clear Skies! 

Nat x

Hi and welcome

Can't help you with info about the scope but I'm sure that someone will be able to help. You may also find some stuff to help in the sections for less experienced watchers. I found lots of good stuff in there

Hello Mark and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. You're probably not too far from me as I am in Daventry.

I hope you have a great time with your new scope and with your new friends on here.

Hello Mark and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. You're probably not too far from me as I am in Daventry.

I hope you have a great time with your new scope and with your new friends on here.

thx all

and yes not far from you just down the road just stick an co in front instead of da. i will have lots of questions to ask like many newbies in the coming day's ,months you's be fed up with us  :laugh:

Archived