SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Terrascan giant binoculars anyone?

Stu

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made these, Terrascan was my terrestrial instrument brand. They will be a 6" F6 or F8 Newtonian based binoscope. The section holding the eyepieces swivels through 180 degrees for terrestrial use. Rack and pinion interocular adjustment, helical eyepiece focusing, interchangeable eyepieces. Great performance on any object. Not me selling them but tempted to buy them back.   :smiley:

Looking at the closeups I think they were an early model before I introduced the rotating eyepiece block, if so they will definitely be David Hinds optics, the last couple I made had OO optics.  :smiley:

Interesting. So this version would be more suitable for astro observing than terrestrial viewing ?

Is the addition over a normal newtonian, the prism to turn the light beam up into the eyepiece ?

Peter, they look really nicely put together.

I've wondered about the impact of heat coming from the observers body if positioned between and ahead of the tubes.

Is this an issue which affects seeing?

No it wasn't me, sorely tempted though. I did build one 10" F6.3 version, about the largest you could mount up on your own, I had some of my best ever Jupiter images with that one. Astronomy aside, the ergonomics of the design made for outstanding aircraft spotting performance and would probably be ideal for following the ISS.  :smiley:

The binoscope final prism was a roof prism so would still give an erect image for terrestrial use, the later swivel modification allowed the user to face the direction of view.  :smiley:

just realised what you was saying peter, that would be strange to look through, it would be like looking through the back of your head :grin:

Good news!, the 6" reflecting binoscope was purchased by one of our local members. I currently have it in hand for a MOT. :smiley:

Great news indeed Peter :-)

Are they in good condition?

Hi

They are in the process of re-assembly as we speak.

When they arrived there was a slight problem with collimation so the doctor prescribed a strip down and cleaning. The mirrors show some signs of not being let dry before storage, but are quite serviceable. Physical condition of the tubes and stand is almost spotless apart from one slight mark, where I must confess I did not pack them quite 100% for the 210 mile journey home. I will clean off with a bit of t-cut without damage though.

Just need to clean the second secondary mirror, replace both and have a look at the prisms which seem to have a lot of dust etc on them. Sort the collimation and then we can have a good play!

When I took them up to The Astronomy Centre I did let Peter have first light terrestrially and even before cleaning etc they were very impressive. Looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement all our work will give. Not expecting a great improvement as they did work quite well before, but every little helps.

Must be the most observed pylon in the country ;-)

That and the writing on the transformer on the electric pole near the farm. But they are both good indicators and of course inspecting the brickwork of Studly Pike (not sure how many miles away). Which is also useful for aligning sighting scopes initially.

Archived