Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark Straight Through with Tele Vue 60

Luke

Hi all,

A little while ago I tried imaging with my Quark in a straight through configuration with my Tele Vue 60. I found there was better contrast than using the Quark in the regular position after a diagonal - that thread is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241183-trying-quark-straight-through-60mm-7th-april

Yesterday and today I finally got around to trying the Quark straight through with the Tele Vue 60 for visual. I moved the UV/IR cut from the diagonal to the extension tube in front of the Quark.

16550401593_dc165a889c_o.jpg

As with the imaging, the contrast was significantly better at the eyepiece :)

What surprised me though was the high level of detail in the active regions at 80x mag. With my SolarMax 60, going from 50x to 80x on active regions doesn't seem to gain you much. With the Quark at 80x in the little 60 scope I was getting hints of the detail in active regions that I enjoy so much at 100mm.

Of course, the SM60 has some neat features, such as no batteries required, ready to use at the drop of a hat, and a short focal length of just 400mm that can be practical for full disc imaging.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I can only assume that in the regular position my Quark is not lined up well with the optical axis of the Tele Vue 60, lowering performance of the filter. Could be you would see little or no gain if your Quark is nicely lined up already. My other scopes seem to work very well with Quark after diagonal.

Interesting Luke, I was going to try imaging in straight through setup yesterday but forgot and set up and started imaging as per so left it, must tie a knot in something so I remember next time.

Dave

Interesting report!

A bit off topic, I always wandered whether the tv60 works better if my barlow was put before the diagonal in combination with an extension tube. The fact that you saw more contrast make me wonder even more!

On Tuesday evening I watched the Sun using first my N7T6 (51x) and then my slv 5mm (72x). For whatever reason, I much preferred the view with the slv at 72x than nagler at 51x. I expected the opposite after reading the posts of so many members reporting an optimum at ~50x. Granulation was well distinct, as well as black spots contours and shades. 

And the funny thing is that the N7 even had a polarising filter attached (without this I was not able to spot granulation), whereas the slv didn't. I thought (and am still doubting) this was due to different optics, but after reading your report, I am a bit confused..  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love the TV60! Nice to see yours with a Manfrotto and giro mount!  :smiley:

Yes, interesting stuff Luke.

There's almost an inclination to think it's the diagonal...... If there was a misalignment in the focuser then it should affect the setup in the same way whether it's the Quark or the diagonal in it?

If the problem is the diagonal, moving it after the Quark should help, as you proved.

you seem to have a bit of droop there in the straight through train.

That will cause a reduction in contrast and move you off-band.

I addressed this by uscrewing the 1.25" eyepiece holder and replacing with a 2" holder + extension. makes it stiffer. Daystar have done no ne any favours in not using the standard 48mm thread though on the 2" barrel part.

Mike

you seem to have a bit of droop there in the straight through train.

That will cause a reduction in contrast and move you off-band.

I addressed this by uscrewing the 1.25" eyepiece holder and replacing with a 2" holder + extension. makes it stiffer. Daystar have done no ne any favours in not using the standard 48mm thread though on the 2" barrel part.

Mike

I didn't know it was possible to change the 1.25" holder with a 2" one in a tv60. That's interesting!

I do not want to try mine straight through at the moment because my UV/IR filter is 2" and I cant fit it onto the Quark as it only has a 1.25 thread and I am not sure if the filter can go after the Quark and fit onto the diagonal as normal !!!!

Any suggestions ? :laugh:

Thanks for the comments. I shall check for droop! I have switched to a different 1.25 extension tube that Connects more solidly, anyone else trying similar please check it's all super solid.

Shaun, UV/IR cut must be before Quark I believe. Have you got a 2 inch extension tube that could take the filter before the Quark?

pdp10, I love the Manfrotto and mini giro combo, the huge height adjustment range and the handle to crank it up or down has been so handy - ducking under wires, peering over a hedge, etc :D

Not sure about the 50x optimal thing, anyone else got thoughts on that? I am wondering if the little obstruction on the SM60 etalon is anything to do with things? Does e.g. a Lunt 60 show a bit more than the SM60 at higher mag???

I thought as much guys...cheers.

Luke I tried  a quick 10 second trial in the Esprit as Stu suggested. However, there isn't enough inward focus travel. I don't have an extension tube and I believe an extension would compound the inward travel issue, unless I have the theory the wrong way around :smiley:

Oh indeed Shaun, I was forgetting how fast your scope is,

Stu, I am wondering about the diagonal, it's a Tele Vue 1.25 inch solid little thing, I have a William Optics I could try. Or I could go the 2 inch route.

I prefer to use the Quark's 2 inch connection on my bigger fracs, it feels a firmer grip.

Oh indeed Shaun, I was forgetting how fast your scope is,

Stu, I am wondering about the diagonal, it's a Tele Vue 1.25 inch solid little thing, I have a William Optics I could try. Or I could go the 2 inch route.

I prefer to use the Quark's 2 inch connection on my bigger fracs, it feels a firmer grip.

It's a bit strange if you don't have the same problems with your other scopes, do you use the same diagonal with those?

I only use that diagonal on the 60mm, Stu. No problem with a Baader 2 inch clicklock or 2 inch TeleVue on the other scopes.

Sounds like the 1.25" diagonal may be the issue then?

Is there any way of trying one of your 2" diags in the 60?

Sounds like the 1.25" diagonal may be the issue then?

Is there any way of trying one of your 2" diags in the 60?

Thanks for the ideas, Stu. I don't think I have a way at the mo to use a 2 inch diagonal with the TV60.. But I could try the 1.25 inch diagonal with my ED100. And thinking about it, we have another Baader diagonal that is 2 inch (might be a T2 prism?) but I think we can change it to 1.25 inch scope side and it has a fairly short light path, we got that one mainly to use with a bino viewer.

Thanks for the ideas, Stu. I don't think I have a way at the mo to use a 2 inch diagonal with the TV60.. But I could try the 1.25 inch diagonal with my ED100. And thinking about it, we have another Baader diagonal that is 2 inch (might be a T2 prism?) but I think we can change it to 1.25 inch scope side and it has a fairly short light path, we got that one mainly to use with a bino viewer.

Good idea, I use a T2 prism sometimes with a 1.25" on the scope side, worth a try

Stu,

It is strange indeed, I haven't tried straight through with the Equinox and the 2" diagonal, I will try tomorrow if the sun is shining.

I am working with FLO at the moment because the Esprit does not work with night sky and the supplied 2 " diagonal !!! ( not enough inward travel)

However it does work with a 1.25" diagonal, which is what I have been using.

I have also tried my other  2" Diagonal with no success.

Both the  2 " diagonals work with the Quark in the Esprit.

I have measured everything as per supplied information from the OEM and all is as it should be.

I am beginning to think there is something in the light path that isn't in the correct place or the focuser travel is not set for maximum inward travel, but I don't want to start taking anything apart.

I've been hearing about people having problems with a new Quark rather splitting the images due to - they guess - a problem with the new Quark (or is it really a Quirk?). I have another theory to bounce around in your Cranium's Geraniums: Perhaps what people are seeing isn't a problem with the Quark at all. Perhaps the stock focuser on your refractor is out-of-alignment. Here's my story.....

I recently decided to go upscale on my diminutive SkyWatcher-branded ST80. So I started taking measurements. During this process, I had a sudden desire to check the present alignment. I don't know why that Muse popped-up, but it did. So I took my perfectly collimated red-laser collimator and placed it into the draw-tube, after removing the diagonal, with the mechanism fully racked all-the-way into the OTA. Took a piece of white paper and made a circle to mark the achcromat's dimensions. And turned the laser on. Marked the site of the red-spot on the paper and took a close look. It was clearly smack-center of the midway-point between the center of the lens and the edge of the lens!

No amount of checking the bolts, checking the rack & pinion, rotating, etc. would change this. So I crossed my fingers & toes and pulled the trigger for one of these:

http://agenaastro.com/gso-crayford-focuser-refractor-telescope-dual-speed-112mm.html

It arrived in 4 days from Los Angelas, and I carefully installed it. And went back to the laser-collimator. Made another white paper template. Switched on the laser: DEAD-CENTER. So it was the stock-focuser / visual-back that had been a problem. I knew something wasn't right as focus was never as sharp as I thought it should be. But that the entire back-end of the ST80 being off had never occurred to me. So take note before you condemn a Quark - or anything else.

If you take your measurements someday, and follow a similar course of action, the GSO (Revelation) is great! Scalpel-sharp focus now. Wouldn't dream of installing a Feather-Touch or JMI now.

Clear & Sunny-Skies,

Dave

post-38438-0-05990300-1429386117_thumb.j

Dave, nice idea with the laser. I think we are all on the same page? Quark not lining up is not due to Quark, it's due to something else :)

Interesting about the focuser. I have three other setups that all give very nice contrast. Even the one with the FeatherTouch Rack & Pinion :D

I should say as well that even if something is as I suspect off in alignment with my 60mm setup, it still works pretty well with the Quark like that, I've been using it like that for a while.

I have a nice GSO focuser on my GSO880 dob. I am impressed by how heavy a weight it can handle! Parracor 2 and Ethos 21mm is no problem :) Decently smooth too.

I'd say that any problem that can throw the through-put of light off by 1/2 a lens-diameter is capable of scrambling anything else trying to get through that system. So I'd say we're on the same page. And that looks like a nice little refractor you have there! I wasn't thinking your TeleVue would have such a situation. After all - it IS a TeleVue. :p

At least it would make any CA take a back-seat in the pecking-order of problems the scope's optics were facing.

Clear Skies & A Sun-Tan,

Dave

PS: Regards the Feather-Touch. I have a JMI motor-focus for my LX90 making it's way up here. I'll be writing my findings at some point.

Archived