Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! Completely stuck

I've been out with my Skyliner 200p tonight trying to find anything in the eyepiece.

I tried going for Jupiter- got it in the center of the finder but nothing through the eyepiece at all- I got something bright at one point but it was just the image of the mirror!?!

I'm not even sure i've got the focusser set up correctly. Someone told me to remove the 2" adaptor but there's not other combination- everything fits together.

There's a collar- a large adaptor- a small adaptor then the eyepiece..all screwed together- if i removed the 2" adaptor- the 1.25" adaptor wouldnt fit in the collar.

I'm pretty fed up to be honest and freezing cold :(

You need to get the focus sorted out, the moon is very handy for this as it big, bright and easy to find, so your finder scope needs aligning with the main scope, you can do this in daylight pick something a long way away, focus the Eye piece on this wind the focuser in and out very slowly you may need a extension to get the Eye Piece out far enough, once this is sort line the finder scope up with same object......

You need to get the focus sorted out, the moon is very handy for this as it big, bright and easy to find, so your finder scope needs aligning with the main scope, you can do this in daylight pick something a long way away, focus the Eye piece on this wind the focuser in and out very slowly you may need a extension to get the Eye Piece out far enough, once this is sort line the finder scope up with same object......

So its possible my eyepiece isnt in the correct position? Where would I get an extension?

So its possible my eyepiece isnt in the correct position? Where would I get an extension?

You can hold the eye piece and move it slowly away from the focuser, if it gets better then you need a extention, you may have a SGL memeber close who can help out or you will need to buy one.......

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters.html

Sorry to hear of your problems.   You have some good advice already given.  However, another option is to find a local astronomy club, most will be happy to help.

At my own club, we get folks turn up, someone will help ( often several :smiley: ) and there's no pressure at all to join.

Best to make contact first of course before turning up.

Please don't despair, once you're sorted you will be well chuffed with your 200p.

Regards, Ed.

If you are seeing the mirror even a bit then the eyepiece is too far back so an extension tube is not the solution, that would just make it more too far back.

How long have you had the 200P

This sounds like the 2" eyepiece adaptor?

Assuming it is, and therefore that you have just got the scope:

The focuser will take 2" or 1.25" eyepieces.

You put the 2" adaptor in for 2" eyepieces and the 1.25" adaptor in for the 1.25" eyepieces. Catch is NOT both.

Unfortunately the 1.25" adaptor will fit nicely in the 2" adaptor ( and it all looks correct, just it isn't), then add in that SW ship the scope with the 2 adaptors inside each other.

Take out the eyepiece, gently remove the 1.25" adaptor, then gently remove the 2" adaptor, I think then the 1.25" adaptor should go back in and then the eyepiece goes in. The eyepiece will then sit further inwards and will (should) achieve good focus.

If it is not that then not sure suspect more information will be needed.

If you are seeing the mirror even a bit then the eyepiece is too far back so an extension tube is not the solution, that would just make it more too far back.

How long have you had the 200P

This sounds like the 2" eyepiece adaptor?

Assuming it is, and therefore that you have just got the scope:

The focuser will take 2" or 1.25" eyepieces.

You put the 2" adaptor in for 2" eyepieces and the 1.25" adaptor in for the 1.25" eyepieces. Catch is NOT both.

Unfortunately the 1.25" adaptor will fit nicely in the 2" adaptor ( and it all looks correct, just it isn't), then add in that SW ship the scope with the 2 adaptors inside each other.

Take out the eyepiece, gently remove the 1.25" adaptor, then gently remove the 2" adaptor, I think then the 1.25" adaptor should go back in and then the eyepiece goes in. The eyepiece will then sit further inwards and will (should) achieve good focus.

If it is not that then not sure suspect more information will be needed.

I've had the scope 3 days.. it was a refurb so they adaptors all came separate.

I'm sure this is the problem as it doesnt feel right- I have everything atttached but I can't get the 1.25" adaptor to connect to the focusser. Is a part missing?

Here's the photo (dont laugh)

2rm45ll.jpg

I've had the scope 3 days.. it was a refurb so they adaptors all came separate.

I'm sure this is the problem as it doesnt feel right- I have everything atttached but I can't get the 1.25" adaptor to connect to the focusser. Is a part missing?

Here's the photo (dont laugh)

note- thats without the eyepiece in the end.

You are using the 2" and 1.25" adapters together. They should be used separately otherwise you will not be able to bring an eyepiece to focus. It should look like the picture I posted earlier in the thread for use with 1.25" eyepieces. This is a very common mistake with these scopes - you are not the 1st to do this by a long way :smiley:

I have one of these scopes and had a similar problem to you, only mine was not being able to achieve focus with a DSLR. I found that the various bits of hardware are so well engineered that it took me a while to realise that all of the bits will unscrew from each other - they look like one piece initially. Take the assembly off the focuser, and give it a good twist. Don't worry, your hand will break before the ironmongery will. When you have it apart all will become clear.

Right... in my photo there are three bits attached (no eyepiece on the photo)..

First one is a knurled ring which screws on to the focuser. Next is the large adaptor (assuming this is the 2" adaptor). Next is the small adaptor (1.25") which the eyepiece fits onto well.

Now when I take off both adaptors theres a large hole (the knurled ring) which my eyepiece won't fit into.

So how do I fit my eyepiece? It seems the only way is to have the 2" adaptor on?

This is what I was saying - take the whole thing off, so that you are left with the gaping hole (Steel) that the adapters fit into.

Now, what you have in your hand are three pieces screwed together. Undo the silver knurled knobs(I can't remember whether or not they hold things together, but it will do no harm to take them off for now). Grab hold of the largest bit, the bit that fits on to the steel tube, then unscrew the thicker of the two tubes (i.e. the middle one). Then unscrew the smaller tube from the bigger tube and put the bigger one  aside. Then screw the smaller tube onto the big bit that came off the steel tube.  They may be tight to unscrew, but they will come apart.

If you still have problems tonight I'll do you a Youtube vid to demonstrate.

Bon chance,

Neil.

This is what you will end up with when you have removed the middle bit.attachicon.giffocuser2.jpg

Ah ha! Its the 2 inch reduction ring thats the issue I think. I'm assuming this is a separate part? I'll have to check whether I have it- as all I can remember is just the outer part of the knurled ring.

I will check tonight.

Thanks for all your help everyone..means a lot.

Cracked it!!!

All this time I hadn't realised that the 2" adaptor splits in to two and the small bit goes in to the knurled ring before you can attach the 1.25" adaptor.

What a clown!

Anyway thanks all for your help- got there in the end.

Bad news: I'd been excited all day for the forecast clear skies.... its now completely clouded over thick. Gutted!

Cracked it!!!

All this time I hadn't realised that the 2" adaptor splits in to two and the small bit goes in to the knurled ring before you can attach the 1.25" adaptor.

What a clown!

Anyway thanks all for your help- got there in the end.

Bad news: I'd been excited all day for the forecast clear skies.... its now completely clouded over thick. Gutted!

Hi! You're far from the first one (highly doubt you'll be the last one as well) to make this mistake. It's a fairly common mistake to make as, I'm sure, many members on SGL can vouch for (hadn't I read about this issue prior to purchasing my SW 150PDS, I would've most likely assembled it the way you did). As you probably have noticed by now, many members on this wonderful forum will make that extra effort to help out!

Hi! You're far from the first one (highly doubt you'll be the last one as well) to make this mistake. It's a fairly common mistake to make as, I'm sure, many members on SGL can vouch for (hadn't I read about this issue prior to purchasing my SW 150PDS, I would've most likely assembled it the way you did). As you probably have noticed by now, many members on this wonderful forum will make that extra effort to help out!

Yeah I've never known a forum like it for getting so much help!

Definitely something we should feed back to Skywatcher- the manual is decent but weirdly fails to mention how to set up the focuser parts.

Archived