Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter again! But this is my first ever Astro picture

Attempted "astrophotography" for the first time and managed to get my first ever photograph, of Jupiter. Whilst observing I could see 4 Jovian moons but just couldn't get the moons and planet definition in the same shot. I either got some definition of the planet and no moons or the planet was bleached out and I got the four moons. Although I am pleased that I've captured a shadow of one of the moons on it's surface.
Looks a little out of focus too. Forgot to use the Bhatinov Mask I was given for Christmas  :embarassed: 

Never mind I'm pleased with the outcome of my first photo and as they say, things can only get better.

1,500 frames taken using Sharpcap with my DIY modified Logitech LifeCam Pro 4000 webcam and stacked using AutoStakkert!2. (Registax 6 kept coming up "Not responding", for some reason)

No real idea about post process so tried several things and this was the best outcome.

Pleased that it does shows a shadow of one of the moons on it's surface.

Thanks to all you guys for the info that has been posted up here over the past.

Any feedback welcome, thank you

Jupiter Final 1.tif

Lol, no worries, its a great capture, I'm just working on post-processing old star trail shots in GIMP, since I can't get out there for any obs.  Wish the other half was proficient enough to be trusted with the set up on his own.  Then he could capture some data, show me what he managed to see and stuff, and I would upload and process from my convalescence in bed! Thinking of trying out DSLR video capture with Saturn later on in the year, got various filters for planetary already, from when Mars came up close and personal 4-5 years back :) 

That looks like a brilliant first effort, well done. i cant get anything close to that yet. Good to see images like that from beginners... gives some hope in what is a very complex and skilled hobby.

Thanks for the help toilandtrouble123. I didn't know any other way of getting the picture up on here.

Hopefully here it is in all it's err, glory

At the bottom of the post you will see More Reply Options. Use that to add a jpeg or png to your post as a thumbnail.

Peter

Hi sidecarsally,

thank you for the positive feedback.

I levelled and polar aligned the tripod/mount then did a 2 star alignment.

I used a diy adapted Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (£10 off ebay) I removed the camera's inferior internal IR filter myself  and fitted a Sky's the Limit adapter with a built in IR filter (£15 off ebay). All attached to my Celestron AVX 8 EdgeHD

Used SharpCap2 to capture 1,500 frames @ 15FPS, stacked in AutoStakkert!2, and imported into Registax6 for wavelet adjustment.

The initial video was really poor quality tbh and even after I had stacked the frames in AutoStakkert!2 the image in the first post was a bit fuzzy but I was happy with until someone on here mentioned using Registax6's wavelets (No idea what they really do) and the picture cleaned up nicely. I'm sure that it could be further improved by those with a far greater knowledge but tbh I am thrilled to bits with the result, especially as the imaging equipment was cheap and cheerful.

Great job for your first image. WAY better than my first several attempts. What are you using?

I didn't and if I did it wasn't intentionally enlarged. I'm sure someone on here will be able to explain better than I, but I think it has something to do with the size of the sensor in the camera. I must admit when I'm observing with my EP's it certainly isn't that big!

Very nice!! How were you able to get such magnification on the planet using a webcam??

Try answering right quote may help :rolleyes:

I didn't and if I did it wasn't intentionally enlarged. I'm sure someone on here will be able to explain better than I, but I think it has something to do with the size of the sensor in the camera. I must admit when I'm observing with my EP's it certainly isn't that big!

Archived