Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Belt driven...

jambouk

The belt modification for HEQ5 and NEQ6 mounts seems a very popular thing to do. What demonstrable improvements, and how much improvement, does this modification offer the imager?

If you had £950 to spend on a mount for imaging, would you get a brand new NEQ6, or a second hand AZEQ6?

I have an AZEQ6, but asking out of academic interest about the belt mod, but also as part of a discussion on another thread.

Thanks for any replies.

James

I've recently added the belt mod to my old HEQ5. What difference has it made? Well the most obvious one is that my Dec backlash is now non existent. How do I know? During calibration with PHD now when it gets to the 'clearing dec backlash' stage I can see the star move after just one nudge. It used to take 6 to 8 nudges before the mod. The mod may well have improved RA backlash too but I've no data to support or refute this so far. On a not so critical note, the mount is very very quiet even at full slew speed.

Hi James,

I upgraded my EQ6 with the belt mod, but at the same time I stripped it down added new SKF bearings, new lithium grease and super tuned it.

The difference is certainly noticeable. Quiet slewing, smooth movement, no backlash and guide graphs are certainly smoother.

For the relatively small outlay I would certainly recommend the upgrade. I purchased my EQ6 second hand.

Steve

Hi James,

I upgraded my EQ6 with the belt mod, but at the same time I stripped it down added new SKF bearings, new lithium grease and super tuned it.

The difference is certainly noticeable. Quiet slewing, smooth movement, no backlash and guide graphs are certainly smoother.

For the relatively small outlay I would certainly recommend the upgrade. I purchased my EQ6 second hand.

Steve

I did exactly the same as well as the Wedge. Would i have done it if the AZ EQ6 had been out and starting from scratch. NO. it has probably cost more to do the upgrades than buy a new mount and it is heavier than the AZ. However the AZ was not available when i originally bought the NEQ6

Archived