SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Premade Solar filters using Baader film

Hi Joe, I,ve been thinking the same using my 127 Mak Ive been looking at the filters from FLO I think they're the same sort of thing I posted a thread a while back and had some positive feedback these filters seem to be better than the full glass ones with a little better contrast.

Paul.

just beware, they never have them in stock, i ordered one about a month a go, only when i chased it uo i was told out of stock and unknown when ordered/ took him a week to refund only after raising a paypal complaint

Gary

I eventually bought the one listed below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370783067088?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have purchased from Joy a couple of times, excellent service - the only thing with theses are the sizes, the instructions are on the listing, they don't do one to fit mine so I had to bu the bigger one and pad it out with adhesive foam to give it the snug fit

Gary

Hi Gary, Paul thanks for the feedback. They do look good but obviously if there are ordering issue that's a problem. I think I will call or email first to see what the deal is.

Gary I like the look of those filters, how would you rate yours? Looks like you lose a bit of aperture though, and it looks a different amount depending on the size which is a bit confusing...

Hi badhex

I have the nexstar 127 slt, when i ordered, joy contacted me within hrs to inform me that the size is in-between those she held, i told her to send the larger, when the filter is padded out and on the front of my scope, the ring of solar film is practically the same size as the outer lens, the plastic frame then provides a secure mount with the foam cusioning. Not had chance to try it out properly yet as i work away from home a lot, but i do intend to as soon as i get chance.

Gary

I have a very similar premade for my 152mm frac. Works a treat!!. It is very spooky though first time pointing it at the sun, when your brain is saying noooo. Do use some tape in addition to the thumbscrews, and remove your finder so that you are not tempted to look through it or get a burnt scalp.

Personally I'd recommend getting one from a reputable dealer rather than some unknown e-bay seller that's knocking up the filters at home , how much after-sales service are you going to get should something be amiss ... ? 

Thanks all. It's a very good point Steve, and my major concern in building my own kit, although fairly proficient, is making an error and destroying my eyesight.

That said she does seem to have *a lot* of good feedback. Wonder what her background is.

Your decision , not one I would agree with personally ... but they are your eyes not mine.

Bought in from where ... ? ... made by whom ... ? ... proof that it's Baader film ... ? ... still too many questions to guarantee safety ... !

Your decision , not one I would agree with personally ... but they are your eyes not mine.

Bought in from where ... ? ... made by whom ... ? ... proof that it's Baader film ... ? ... still too many questions to guarantee safety ... !

But then again that can be said regarding any seller - someone has to make them and we are only human.

Only the buyer has to be vigilant and ensure there are no splits creases etc, I cant fault Joy, dont know her personally but I have had an issue with delivery in the past, turned out to be royal mail and a replacement arrived the next day (Barlow)

I can only post on my own experiences, I have tried to order from local Astronomy delaers in the past only to be told, not in stock will have to order for you, so as Steve says the decision is ones own

Hi all, thanks for all the input. Baader film is definitely a must and was my primary buying criteria, but seems I will do a bit more research before purchasing. At the end of the day, they are my eyes and you only get one pair!

Not the cheapest, but I'm rather pleased with my Baader ASTF:

IMG_20150407_093449.jpg

I has the advantage that it is made by the people who know more about the Astrosolar film than anybody else. They always seem to have them all in stock at Baader's Astrosolar website too.

There is no chance it won't fit, due to the excellent mounting system (as long as you can use a tape measure) and the ASTF line (as opposed to the slightly cheaper ASSF) come with the additional braces of Velcro tabs. Adjusted right, the pubber coated bolts hold the OTA very firmly indeed.

Russell

Very nice Russ, looks the business. Found one that should fit my Skymax okay. Will have to weigh up the options but paying the extra price and having a guarantee of quality is something I find is always worth it so that may be the way forward.

Archived