Narrowband

My Dream Kit Realized

I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. I made a bit of an error, not in what I purchased, but when I purchased. I currently live in the worst area for AP, downtown loft. However, I'm moving to a house in the country next month to satisfy my requirements. Over the course of the winter months, I had to gaze fondly at my new hardware which has been difficult. With my move on the horizon I'll FINALLY get to play. I made this purchase all at once and all from scratch. I'm thrilled about the learning curve and I couldn't be more excited about my new home! My future is very exciting.... For the first time in a VERY long time!

1b64e6bbb9715bf56af01073b1fe3a83.jpge8c866d0da45711f90f76b5d459ccb8a.jpg924a1d46103193a1db172ad6cfc1d51a.jpga90504de7f136e703d3cd55595414d79.jpg0d98d99788c62d90030266044e8c5624.jpg28c34b07470acc9dfc86342951c2289d.jpg2616d4b06b6a0e9039f3dfcc50ad0f4b.jpg16ffbc86a80f96360dbf5b1c29377a37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the QSI 683wsg (8 pos), it is a really good camera and I also have the x2 Loadstar. I haven't used this Loadstar as yet but there are several warnings about the flimsy miniature USB socket breaking off the board inside. So I am going to reinforce the socket with a purpose made S/S clamp to hold the USB plug solidly in place. I so far have never had a problem with the old Loadstar, but I did the same with that one, but in plastic.

Hope you have loads of fun with your new setup, looks great!

Derek

Sorry... It's been sitting ignored all season and trying to psych myself up with my upcoming move. I thought I mentioned that but I apologize for duplicate info. No need to be mean [emoji57]

I've got the QSI 683wsg (8 pos), it is a really good camera and I also have the x2 Loadstar. I haven't used this Loadstar as yet but there are several warnings about the flimsy miniature USB socket breaking off the board inside. So I am going to reinforce the socket with a purpose made S/S clamp to hold the USB plug solidly in place. I so far have never had a problem with the old Loadstar, but I did the same with that one, but in plastic.

Hope you have loads of fun with your new setup, looks great!

Derek

I'd heard this about the load star which makes me very nervous. Curious, why haven't you used the loadstar with the very slick OAG setup? Seems a brilliant bit of engineering!!

I'd heard this about the load star which makes me very nervous. Curious, why haven't you used the loadstar with the very slick OAG setup? Seems a brilliant bit of engineering!!

Purely because I have only just bought it about a couple of months ago. Not had the time as yet. I only get a couple of weeks a year to indulge my hobby. I'm also awaiting a new Astronomizer autofocuser and Optec 3" rotator. Once fitted and tested whey hey!! Well that's what I hope! :p

Derek

Will we be treated to another look at this "new kit" of yours next year too. :evil::evil:24.gif

Sorry :lipsrsealed: just yanking ya chain buddy.. ;)

I'll be certain to send you photos as my kit ages. It's still an infant. Wait until you see the photos once it's in its toddler stage!!

I do hope so.

That's some very nice kit (Though I'd probably go Mesu rather than Paramount), and he's far enough south to be able to image all those nice DSOs in Sagittarius. 

Envious? Yeah, right!  :Envy:

Have you tried taken images in your LP zone at all? You might be pleasantly surprised you know. Your QSI is mono right, so you could try narrrow band imaging maybe.

Many of us live in RED zones and still image, you don't have to produce a master piece on your first time out, just get out there and give it a go! 

Just looking at some of your posts over the last 6 months I feel that you really need a good push to get going, just get out there and have a play, it probably won't go smoothly first time out, it doesn't matter! You need to get hands on to learn what works and what doesn't with your particular kit. 

O.k. rant over, good luck with the move :)

I live in London for heaven's sake, you know, that vile orange spider sitting in its web of even more orange  :mad: . My kit is nowhere near as nice as that, but narrowband gives me the edge I need to image.

If I can do this, from London, with my poor kit, think what you can do....

post-3064-0-52117100-1428416571_thumb.jp

Not showing off, by any means, just showing what can be done.

Have you tried taken images in your LP zone at all? You might be pleasantly surprised you know. Your QSI is mono right, so you could try narrrow band imaging maybe.

Many of us live in RED zones and still image, you don't have to produce a master piece on your first time out, just get out there and give it a go!

Just looking at some of your posts over the last 6 months I feel that you really need a good push to get going, just get out there and have a play, it probably won't go smoothly first time out, it doesn't matter! You need to get hands on to learn what works and what doesn't with your particular kit.

O.k. rant over, good luck with the move :)

Shockingly, the downtown city lights aren't the primary problem. I live in a five story building on the third floor. For me to setup on my roof, which not only is lighted up like Xmas, but it's the flights of stairs that make things hard. To get setup and carry the equipment is a 3hr process that kills my back. I'm not making excuses. I have had eight major back surgeries in the last eight or so years. I went ahead and bought the equipment because I don't work and have no family and LOTS of time. I wanted the winter months to learn about the equipment I bought.... always knowing that I'd be moving in the spring to a location where my back wouldn't be as much an issue.

I REALLY appreciate the photo!!! I'm thrilled to know a dark sky isn't a prerequisite!!! Awesome image!!!!

Just a thought....

Louise (Thalestris24) images from the windows of her flat in Glasgow, so I'm wondering, do your windows open? If they do it might be worth setting up by one and, if not doing a proper run, at least getting to know the kit in action, sorting out the software, and perhaps getting some data to work on, while waiting for your move to a dark site.

You could always do what I do. Go to some Star Parties. It is the only chance I get. I go to Galloway and Kielder. EQ8 and all the gear weighs a lot and takes up loads of space. Nearly had to put the wife on the roof rack. But great fun meet loads of people who have become friends over the years. LEARNED loads and enjoyed every minute of it. So for me a maximum of 4 times a year but great fun. It's better than just waiting for better things that may never happen!

Derek

You could always do what I do. Go to some Star Parties. It is the only chance I get. I go to Galloway and Kielder. EQ8 and all the gear weighs a lot and takes up loads of space. Nearly had to put the wife on the roof rack. But great fun meet loads of people who have become friends over the years. LEARNED loads and enjoyed every minute of it. So for me a maximum of 4 times a year but great fun. It's better than just waiting for better things that may never happen!

Derek

I've attended more than a few star parties in my area, but all members, without exception, are purely visual astronomers. There are very few who attend local star parties hosted by the Birmingham astronomical society in Alabama.

Archived