Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

auto closing roof on end of imaging

redtail

Yes.  A number of members here have done this.  Needs a motor drive and control electronics.  I'm hoping to do just that sometime soon.

You could get SG Pro to run an external program to drive a USB switch like this kit or the ready built version. You would need to write a Delphi, Visual Basic or C++ application to control it or you could buy the Lesvedome Observatory control software package and run a VBScript from SG Pro to operate the switch. In either case, the switch would run a relay and the relay would operate the roll off roof motordrive to close the roof as the next command after parking the mount.

Although I have two Velleman K8055 USB interface boards, I prefer the Arduino nowadays and find it easier to program.  So I shall be using an Arduino to operate my roll off roof.  I use VB to create a user app with graphical user interface though interfacing to ASCOM is also available.  That way it can all be controlled with software such as SG Pro or calls from the Atik Artemis Capture Sequence Generator.

You could get SG Pro to run an external program to drive a USB switch like this kit or the ready built version. You would need to write a Delphi, Visual Basic or C++ application to control it or you could buy the Lesvedome Observatory control software package and run a VBScript from SG Pro to operate the switch. In either case, the switch would run a relay and the relay would operate the roll off roof motordrive to close the roof as the next command after parking the mount.

I'm unfamiliar with the output from the program your using but as steppenwolf says a switched USB relay output should do it as you can get them really cheaply E.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Smart-Home-5V-USB-Relay-1-Channel-Programmable-Computer-Control-/400603099408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d45ce3110

Just needs either timed output or wiring as self retaining broke with a limit when the roof is closed

Damian

I'm unfamiliar with the output from the program your using but as steppenwolf says a switched USB relay output should do it as you can get them really cheaply E.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Smart-Home-5V-USB-Relay-1-Channel-Programmable-Computer-Control-/400603099408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d45ce3110

Just needs either timed output or wiring as self retaining broke with a limit when the roof is closed

Damian

Thanks guys the ebay item looks like the best thing for the job--Gina i would be interested in your version as i have the same motor as you have only i use the control unit with it for remote function.

Hi i have the motor drive installed and working of a remote but dont know what i need to have it close on park.

A limit switch or IR light sensor to signal that the telescope is parked can send a signal to your roof closing system (shoud I assume a garage door opener)..tell me more about your camera control system..is there a signal there that can be used to close the roof?

Brian K9WIS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I now have a fully auto ror controlled through sgpro using the maxpiolte ror ascom driver and a USB-X440 relay board.I can set the time to start imaging,the target and number of images. the time to start triggers the ror and the scope then slews and starts imaging.On end of sequence the scope parks and roof closes.Very happy!!!

Archived