SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A little upgrade for your QSI?

Earl

I saw one of the first of these being promoted by the same chap on the web. To be honest it looks very Micky mouse. The bit that clamps to the camera could be seen rocking in the holder slightly. So the camera is not being held orthogonal to the ccd chip.i.e. It is at a slight angle. Any metal tube that fits inside another must have some clearance or it would bind.the tolerances for our purposes will need to be very small or the tube within the holder cannot be parallel to each other. I feel it is only another focussing problem waiting to catch us out. The two bolts would have to be set at exactly the correct lengths for correct registration of the image across the ccd. Looks good but I am definitely not convinced as an ex engineer. I would not part with that sort of money for an untested gimick. I don't find the focussing that onerous! They look pretty anyway.....

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Earl,

I'm so glad that I was wrong. It actually looks a lot better than his pre production model. The pre production one did not sit that far down from what I remember and you could see the camera  rocking about. It looks like this one can also be locked securely. Thanks for the picture.

Regards,

Derek

Can you explain a little Earl.... This attachment screws directly into the oag connection..... The lodestar fits into that and you focus with the screws on this part rather than trying to turn the lodestar for focus.

Have I got that right?

It looks Iike a lovely product, and I myself am very new to the QSIscene with a 583wsg 8. All I did was focus the main chip, then use long leads to rough focus the x2, then tighten everything up, and done. In my way of thinking, the x2 would never need to be focused again, but this gizmo makes the act of focusing much easier. Lovely product. :D

Can you explain a little Earl.... This attachment screws directly into the oag connection..... The lodestar fits into that and you focus with the screws on this part rather than trying to turn the lodestar for focus.

Have I got that right?

yes the unit attaches where the c adapter is on the qsi, this makes focusing far easier as the camera no longer rotates it just goes up and down.

It looks Iike a lovely product, and I myself am very new to the QSIscene with a 583wsg 8. All I did was focus the main chip, then use long leads to rough focus the x2, then tighten everything up, and done. In my way of thinking, the x2 would never need to be focused again, but this gizmo makes the act of focusing much easier. Lovely product. :D

In theory you would think once in focus job done but in practise i dont work that way i have found.

Archived