SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Focuser for imaging with a 6 inch Newt

Hi All,

I would like the assistance of the SGL collective in identifying a new focuser for use on my SW 150P for imaging. It needs to be suitable / strong enough to support a Starlight Xpress filter wheel and a QHY9 camera.

I have already tried a Revelation 2 inch Rack & Pinion:- http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Superfocus-2-inch-Newtonian-Rack-n-Pinion-Focuser.html

Unfortunately it was not a very good fit to the tube. I have no issue cutting or modding the OTA, I already have done when I fitted a 2" Revelation Crayford. For those that don't know, I knackered that focuser when I dropped the OTA when packing for PSP a couple of years ago.

I really want a R&P Focuser. I do and have used Crayfords but I am not confident they will cope with weight of a FW & camera.

To give an idea of budget, I am willing to go up to a Moonlite CR2 but not to a Feathertouch ;-)

It must be dual speed.

I look forward to your suggestions.

TIA

Sent from my Fone

Take a look at a look at serious imaging scopes and what the focuser upgrade from the stock one is, its always a Feathertouch, this is for a very good reason. It Does excaly what it says on the TIn.

I have tried pretty much all the major brands out there and the next step up after FT is FLI, and I like the one of those I have used too :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Earl,

I hear what your saying and agree with you but a minimum of ~ £340 for the entry FT is a bit hard to swallow.

Sent from my Fone

Question to ask your self though.

Do I want a Focuser that works as intended without needing to be tinkered with and I can move to another scope as my needs change?

Im looking at a full 3.5 inch motorised RnP upgrade for my FSQ106 and we are looking at more than a grand, which is still well cheaper than the FLI atlas and custom adapter to connect it direct to the OTA.

I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and get one,Im awaiting Wayne at Starlight to confirm the exact adapters needed and that it will all do what i want before i click spend.

I like your style, go for it. Still not sure that I am willing to spend that much ;-)

Can I ask how long you deliberated on hitting the "Buy" button on the FT?

I do not question the quality of FTs but I do struggle with the VFM.

Sent from my Fone

Thank you to all who responded. I suspect that I knew the answer to my own question before asking it. I wanted to make sure that I had not missed something I should have considered.

Earl, I appreciate, understand and agree with everything that you say, unfortunately I am just not able/prepared to send the money required for a Feather Touch, beautiful though they are.

So in summary, I am going to go for a Moonlite CR2. Not the same league as a FT but still very nice. I use one on my Dob.

Sent from my Fone

I hope it works out for you :) Im hopefully placing my order on Monday for a  FTF3515B, Wayne is out of the office until then, and that will give me time to ponder over the finder bracket option, I dont need one today but it could be handy further down the line at some point. I picked up the official motor systen off ENS as he had one in stock.

Archived