SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

sorry if this is a silly question

Usually this is done when the scope is on a pillar, as the pillar tends to not move and the scope can be replaced into a repeatable location.

The corrections then that the scope has determined are reapplied, although these should be minimal.

Polar alignment at installation of the pillar is not just "that should be close enough".

Close enough means that the scope can determine the errors and account for them, if the errors are lost then the scope cannot apply them and realignment is required again.

So setting a pilar correct is paramount.

If you have a tripod then what are the chances that the tripod may get moved, not by a lot say 5mm, or that one leg slips due to temperature changes by 2 or 3mm. In either case the corrections that the scope tries to apply are wrong and your goto wil no longer quite goto.

Not sure where in Essex you are: The club at Cambridge have Meades on pillars and they are put on the pillars and synced to a single star at start up. After that the scope knows where it is pointed at and so where to go from then on.

I guess that Celestrons have similar options. Just thinking that looking at the Cambridge set up would help, however their evening have finished now. So not any real chance of getting there asking and getting an idea. Seeing what the situation actually is helps knowing what is involved.

Im just wondering if i build a observatory in my garden and set up my scope once it is aligned if i dont move it when i turn it off when i turn it back on do i have to re-align it ?

Depending upon what software you have you just tell it to 'Park' at the end of your session (assuming you correctly aligned it in the first place) and then next time you start it up you just tell it to start from 'Park'.  You don't have to realign each time.

That's excellent ok mate thanks very much :) just out of curiosity how long does it take to align a scope I've never had a proper decent scope like this so this is new to me,mine has turned up yesterday along with my heated dew shield and controller so I just need the clouds to go away now lol

I have an observatory mounted scope and I can switch on and slew to an object in less than two minutes.  For the Sun, Moon and planets the goto is good enough to put the object more or less into the centre of my cameras sensor - just a little tweak is needed to get it spot on.  For DSO work I do a three star align at the start of the session - takes about two minutes.  Then a goto is dead centre every time.

I always "park" the scope at the end of a session and, of course, never undo the clutches.  If I do swap kit or make adjustments then the easiest thing to do is slew the scope to a very bright object (Moon or preferably Jupiter or another bright planet - easier to get the image dead centre) and then align by releasing the clutches and manually moving the scope to get the chosen object dead centre.  The goto's will be good again from that point on.

That's excellent ok mate thanks very much :) just out of curiosity how long does it take to align a scope I've never had a proper decent scope like this so this is new to me,mine has turned up yesterday along with my heated dew shield and controller so I just need the clouds to go away now lol

To answer that fully we would prefer to know exactly what equipment and GoTo system you are setting up.

I would allow 15 minuites to do the setup and alignment. That is from taking the thing out.

You have to set the mount up level and in whatever is the start position - I assume that the CPC has end stops for rotation.

You also have to connect everything up, if it is dark and cold then this is not a 30 second job.

Sometimes the GPS can take a while to get it's location, so you have to wait.

I also find that rushing around like the perverbial headless chicken often leads to taking longer, disaster or loss of temper.

My "favourite " way is to set mine up early so it is level and aimed at the start position, then leave it until it gets dark (throw a carrier over it if preferred). Then I can simply take out the rest of the stuff, apply power and start the alignment. Don't have to do anything in the dark.

Archived