SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Questions about guiding equipment

Hi all

Ive recently been looking into guiding on my eq3 synscan obviously weight is the biggest issue with the 150p on it, its rated 10kg for visual and 5kg for imaging, my scope and guide scope come to about 5.5kg and i think with a little bit of balancing its possible for longer subs than im getting but not obviously massive subs.

My questions are

1. My guide scope is a 70mm celestron refractor with the same focal length as my 150p or there abouts, is this ok? im not so keyed up on what focal length would be best compared to the 150p

2. I have a ps3 eye camera with the paid drivers, will i need a hitec astro guider interface or can guiding be achieved through eqmod alone? (not that ive got eqmod to find my scope yet!!)

cheers all

atb para

1. I'd be tempted to replace your current guide telescope with a finder-guider to dramatically save some weight without detriment to the guiding.

2. you can use the PS3 Eye Camera with PHD (free autoguiding software) and couple it to EQMod to autoguide the mount via 'pulse guiding' so you wouldn't need the guider interface BUT you would still need the EQDir adaptor to connect the mount to your PC.

1. I'd be tempted to replace your current guide telescope with a finder-guider to dramatically save some weight without detriment to the guiding.

2. you can use the PS3 Eye Camera with PHD (free autoguiding software) and couple it to EQMod to autoguide the mount via 'pulse guiding' so you wouldn't need the guider interface BUT you would still need the EQDir adaptor to connect the mount to your PC.

Thanks steppenwolf and kens

the guide scope i was given was free :) and i get the saving weight bit as the finder guider has been one ive been meaning to get in, something like a 50mm? I have a eqdir unit already(bought spur of moment as was cheap) though im not sure if it will work with my eq3 motor controller box as it has a serial port output on the end think for a heq5 im not sure im quite new to the eqmod side, would it work connecting it to the rs232 adapter i have and the phone socket type end into the handset on pc direct mode?

atb hari

Archived