SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium 0.13.2 to control HEQ5 pro

Andrew INT

Hi folks, any guidance to help a PC illiterate greatly received!

Trying to control the mount via stellarium, but having installed the Telescope Control plug-in, when I try to configure the telescope, the status remains "stopped" after selecting Start.

Do I need to install a driver for the cable or something else I've missed?

Any help would be great; its too windy outside to set up, so I thought Id try a bit of remote access for later.

Many thanks!

The basic outline for scope control is install "Ascom" then "EQMod" then either Stellarium and Stellarium Scope or Cartes de Ceil, Google will find them all.....you will also need a cable to connect the handset or a EQDir cable that does away with the Handset...

Thanks Tinker1947, I'll give that a go! I managed it a few years ago (on another laptop). I didnt realise that the newer Stellarium versions still needed the drivers.

I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks Tinker1947, I'll give that a go! I managed it a few years ago (on another laptop). I didnt realise that the newer Stellarium versions still needed the drivers.

I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks,

Andrew

Did you get it to work?  I had to set my com port to port#3

Regarding getting it to work; the short answer is no. (The long answer is nooooooo!)

The story so far:

My Toshiba satellite laptop which is only about 18 months old, is awful. The graphics card isnt capable of running Stellariam. My wife kindly gave me one of her old notebook computers. It DOES run Stellariam- hurrah! However, it had a virus which took some shifting. It hasnt been used much over the years, and it is missing a years worth of windows 7 updates which it is refusing to install. Also, it wont turn on MS.net, which is needed for the drivers.

In the end, I got myself a new cheap laptop; a lenovo flex 2 14" which runs on windows 8.1 and has a touch screen. Stellarium runs well on it, and looks nice in HD :)

I havent tried linking the mount yet since I am still finding my way around the new windows malarkey!

I am in my final year of studying astrophysics, so I am trying to use my tekescope to gather some data to help with my final project.

Kind regards,

Andrew

If you are trying to come in on a virtual serial-port, you will need the proper drivers to get it up and running. Take a look at the offering from Meade for the cabling:

http://www.meade.com/products/accessories/software-and-cables/meade-505-connector-cable-set-for-meade-497-autostar-and-audiostar-equipped-models.html

To interface with it requires a PL-2303 driver from Prolific Technology Inc. Here's a link:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41

It's a bit of a learning-curve, I know. Let us know how it's going, please. :p

Clear Skies & Remote Steering,

Dave

Many thanks for your help so far. Sadly the saga continues!

I have downloaded the ASCOM driver and then the EQMOD. Stellarium has the telescope plug in installed. The USB to mount cables that I have work since they have been used to drive a mount on another computer.

When I run the EQASCOM set-up tool (with mount powered up and lead connected to the hand controller - NOT sent to PC control), when I search for the port, it just returns with "nothing found" 

Regardless of this, I tried finding the mount using Stellarium. In the setup box, "start" did nothing. In the configuration box I even tried ticking "external software". This just displayed "connecting" but never did anything.

I'm sure I have done something daft. Please help if you can!!!

All the best,

Andrew

I can find the serial port adapter (it uses com3). However, in the windows control panel (under devices) there is an ! next to the device. Right clicking states that there is a problem with the driver which was not fixed...

Any pointers?

Many, many thanks for any help.

Andrew

Hi folks. I'm using a USB to serial converter (which is then connected into the hand control). The laptop finds the converter (using com3). However the ASCOM setup doesn't find it. I have the Stellarium configuration looking at com3.

Damian; I think you are most probably right! When connected to the mount, I can find the converter in the windows control panel but it appears to be lacking a driver. I have heard that most of these cable converters have hardware produced by Prolific. I have downloaded their driver and will see if that works later today. I have to go out and buy a couple of pet carriers first so that my kids rabbits can have their little furry bits snipped off (And I thought I was having a rough day!)

Many thanks,

Andrew

Have you tried using Com port 4.

Mine would not work when I tried

it this week on 3.Your laptop

should automatically find the

drivers, when you connect up the

serial port adapter. Getting it

work properly, is more trouble

that it is worth, sometimes.Mine

is connected through the hand set.

Steve.

I'm 99% sure you have one of the USB to serial converters with fake hardware(they don't work with newer drivers) and there is no way to get it to work on Windows 8.

The easiest way to get it working is to get an EQDIR.

When you setup you don't have to do any settings for the mount in Stellarium, Stellariumscope take care of it for you :smiley:

Seems this may explain why most people I've heard of don't use Stellarium to run their scopes. Most gravitate to Carte du Ciel instead. I hear tell it's a much simpler matter, as well as also being free software. Anyone want to try? Here's the link for Carte du Ciel - SkyChart:

http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

Bonne Chance,

Dave

Hi Xplode,

I think you are right (sadly). I've tried loading the Prolific driver and it still wont run, even though windows 8.1 says I have the correct driver. I did work on an older laptop running vista, so that supports what you are saying. Furthermore, an error 10 was returned which the Prolific website says is given if using a fake Chinese hardware.

Problem solved thanks; I'll batter my eyelashes at my wife and drop lots of hints for Fathers day...

Many thanks folks,

Andrew

I'm 99% sure you have one of the USB to serial converters with fake hardware(they don't work with newer drivers) and there is no way to get it to work on Windows 8.

The driver support is almost certainly the root of your problem. I have a great multitude of USB-Serial adaptors that work 100% with Win7 yet refuse to work with Win 8/8.1.

I was able to get one off eBay that worked, at the time it was more expensive (around £20 if I remember correctly) and this has worked fine for me to SSH into various servers. It is one of the turquoise blue ends and clear cable style ones.

Regarding getting it to work; the short answer is no. (The long answer is nooooooo!)

The story so far:

My Toshiba satellite laptop which is only about 18 months old, is awful. The graphics card isnt capable of running Stellariam. My wife kindly gave me one of her old notebook computers. It DOES run Stellariam- hurrah! However, it had a virus which took some shifting. It hasnt been used much over the years, and it is missing a years worth of windows 7 updates which it is refusing to install. Also, it wont turn on MS.net, which is needed for the drivers.

In the end, I got myself a new cheap laptop; a lenovo flex 2 14" which runs on windows 8.1 and has a touch screen. Stellarium runs well on it, and looks nice in HD :)

I havent tried linking the mount yet since I am still finding my way around the new windows malarkey!

I am in my final year of studying astrophysics, so I am trying to use my tekescope to gather some data to help with my final project.

Kind regards,

Andrew

I've got a Toshiba Satellite laptop also with Windows 8.1 and I agree the graphic card isn't good.

Have you tried installing XP on it? (this is my next step).

I'm sure that XP has drivers which work better and will allow it's potential to be better used.

Chris

Hi Chris,

From what I have read in forum's over the last couple of years, the same model of Toshiba Satellite can have a variety of integrated graphics cards. It can be a bit of a lottery as to what you actually get. My wife only really needs Office, so she is happy with it. My new laptop is a Lenovo Flex 2 which works a treat.

The drivers definitely worked on my Vista laptop so I am sure you are right about XP.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Tinker 1947,

Thanks for the link; that is the exact same driver that I had installed. The website tools are unable to identify the chip inside the cable I have and returns an error code 10, which Prolific says is suggestive of a fake Chinese chip which is no longer supported by the drivers.

FLO sells compatible cables for £27.50 so I think I will have to wait for Fathers day (kids are fun but expensive!!!)

I cant remember what store I had originally ordered the cable from, but it would have been from one of the popular dealers two years ago. I guess these fake ic chips can sneak in anywhere!

Kind regards,

Andrew

Archived