Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Cornwall

Snaxmuppet

Just joined so thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I saw the solar eclipse on 20th March and it has rekindled my interest in all things astronomical.

I have been interested most of my life and even bought a Celestron 8" a few years back but had to sell up as we moved and our new place wasn't at all suitable. Since then I have done a bit of observing with binoculars but nothing very much but now I'd like to pick it up again.

My real interest is astrophotography but I am not sure what I can do there as I don't have much of a budget but I might be able to do something as I already have a Canon 500D. We also have a Celestron Nexstar 4 but we haven't got it out for a couple of years now (I hope it still works!).

I got a few pics of the total eclipse but they were all over-exposed as I was looking up more than taking pics!

I think I want to major on easy objects... sun (particulary Ha),  moon, bright planets etc and see how I get on. Very interested in BYEOS. I might be up for getting a EQ mount too so that I can at least try some longer exposure stuff.

So that is where we are. I shall get the Nexstar 4 down from the loft tonight and try it out as the sky looks clearish.

post-43613-0-20237400-1427814907_thumb.j

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. Echo above comments on your pic, and swag can take the odd image or two :grin: .. If you are venturing down the imaging route, invest in a copy of making every photon count It will save you hard earned cash in the long run.

Great news! It appears that the Nexstar 4 is still working. :smiley:

I have a quite a lot of eyepieces (plossls and a x2 barlow) so it looks like I have everything I need to start again.

Waiting for the "Making Every Photon Count" to arrive.

Just looking into camera mods. I have a spare Canon 500D that would be perfect for modding (currently have 2 x 500D and about to upgrade to 70D as my main camera). Still have no idea about anything yet but this is something I will definitely be investigating. Where is the best place to get a camera modded in the UK?

I know this is just a welcome thread and not a photo thread but I couldn't resist posting this as my very first attempt at the Northern Lights. It is on a cruise ship in the middle of the North Sea in a gale, hence the star trails, but I am chuffed nonetheless.

post-43613-0-78258000-1427885534_thumb.j

Archived