Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the Wirral

Psychology

Hi All

I have always had an interest in astronomy but never owned a telescope. I'm using binoculars at the moment to learn the sky, and have got myself a copy of Terence Dickinson's Nightwatch: A practical guide to viewing the universe which I am finding invaluable. I am also a keen photographer but after doing lots of research have decided to just stick to observing the sky at the moment, maybe astrophotography can come later!

I would like some advice, I have decided on either a skywatcher 150p dobsonian or the 200p dobsonian. I have a motorhome and  visit Cornwall every year and North Wales and the lake district quite often so was wondering how portable these scopes are? I also have a shed at the end of the garden, can the scope be stored in it without any problems?

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. Perhaps you can find a local club so that you can go and see scopes in the flesh. I say that as folks often say that they are surprised at the size of some of these scopes. I'm sure a quick google search will throw up a local club.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome to SGL.

The 150 and 200 dob are both brilliant choices. As for portability, Im not too sure as I don't own one, but plenty of people do so a quick search will find out some info, or someone will post about them sooner or later. Keeping in the shed is fine, just put the caps on so you don't get anything living in your scope and your golden.

Asking about in the beginners section will probably yield some more helpful replies.

Matt.

hi mate and welcome, i have the 200p and its portable but i would not like to carry it much morethan 100 yards o so,the 150 is lighter but the main weight is in the mount i have a eq5 so i would have to make 2 trips.now dobs a mate of mine has the 200 flexy tube and he carrys it no bother .i hope this has been useful.charl.

As extreme chaos has said it is the mount that is heavy and a difficult shape to carry especially as it has counterweights. The 200p scope is a metre long do quite big to put in a car if you have other stuff. I would not want to carry either far. I remember before I bought my 200p I saw a picture on the Internet showing it with a person beside it. I can't find it now but if you can do so you will get a good idea of how big it is on the eq5 mount

Having said that the 200p is a great scope if you can manage to get it in the car

Good luck

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL . I have the 200p Dob and its a great beginners scope. It is portable up to a point. If you have your motor home and are going to set up near to it then no problem. Go for the 200 p

• 1 month later...

Just an update

Decided to get the skywatcher heritage 130p for the motorhome as it's very portable and easy to store. I also got it from astoboot  for only£89! This also gives me the option of trying out a dobsonian and seeing how I get along with it, and possibly getting another scope for at home.

Archived