Narrowband

Stargazing by the sea?

Hi There,

Really depends on what the temp difference is between the land and sea. But in reality should be little difference on land when looking over ground or worse still buildings and concrete. The lower the object is in the sky the more atmosphere gets in the way and more turbulence. Usually I find very good seeing directly over water when I go back to Wales.

you can get good views,but do you really need to go to Jurkalne to do that? Alsunga will have almost zero light pollution anyway :)  Also best views are not at horizon but higher at zenith.

When i go back to Latvia to visit my parents who live in Piltene,i dont need to go anywhere,just standing at front porch i can see Milky way,Andromeda with naked eyes ;) Some great skies in Latvia what i do miss a lot...

It is very pleasant to observe from the cliff tops in the middle of a warm summer night with just the sound of the crashing waves on the rocks below, and then go for coffee in the dawn as the local fishermen head out to haul in the crab pots.

Rich

you can get good views,but do you really need to go to Jurkalne to do that? Alsunga will have almost zero light pollution anyway :)  Also best views are not at horizon but higher at zenith.

When i go back to Latvia to visit my parents who live in Piltene,i dont need to go anywhere,just standing at front porch i can see Milky way,Andromeda with naked eyes ;) Some great skies in Latvia what i do miss a lot...

Well the problem with observing here is that there are quite a lot of ttrees to the west and I would like to see Mars while I still can. And if you have been in Jurkalne you will know that it is almost perfect for observing objects tgat are to the west.

post-43316-0-53923100-1427793045.jpg

It is very pleasant to observe from the cliff tops in the middle of a warm summer night with just the sound of the crashing waves on the rocks below, and then go for coffee in the dawn as the local fishermen head out to haul in the crab pots.

Rich

That was very poetic ... I envy you ! :)

only issue viewing from the coast vs inland is ...you get full power of the wind to contend with

i live 3min from the beach here and although views are great the windspeed is greater..god luck

Living by the sea I'm always thinking the seeing isn't as good as it would be from the mountains as there is more atmosphere to look through, but you shouldn't have any problem with mars...  ... if you get a breaking the clouds and the gales subside!

All my imaging is done by the sea. I am about 32 metres above the loch but its only about 75 metres away and a burn runs round two of the other sides of the  house so I am almost on an island !!  Surprisingly it doesn't seem to make much difference to the seeing.

To the north of the house we have a 1000 metre lump of rock and polaris appears directly above it. In the winter it doesnt pose a problem but if we get a sunny afternoon it doesnt matter how good the seeing is but when I polar align Polaris appears to be doing a fast rolling boil !!!

My dream is to find a way to drive to the top of that lump of rock and get permission to install an obsy - 360 views uninterrupted, 1000m up and no light pollution in any direction !!!  

All my imaging is done by the sea. I am about 32 metres above the loch but its only about 75 metres away and a burn runs round two of the other sides of the  house so I am almost on an island !!  Surprisingly it doesn't seem to make much difference to the seeing.

To the north of the house we have a 1000 metre lump of rock and polaris appears directly above it. In the winter it doesnt pose a problem but if we get a sunny afternoon it doesnt matter how good the seeing is but when I polar align Polaris appears to be doing a fast rolling boil !!!

My dream is to find a way to drive to the top of that lump of rock and get permission to install an obsy - 360 views uninterrupted, 1000m up and no light pollution in any direction !!!  

that sounds brilliant

All my imaging is done by the sea. I am about 32 metres above the loch but its only about 75 metres away and a burn runs round two of the other sides of the house so I am almost on an island !! Surprisingly it doesn't seem to make much difference to the seeing.

Hi Skipper Billy Stick a flag on the top and claim it for yourself. You would not need permission then for your Obsy and to put the cherry on the cake. Don't think about driving up, Get a cable car. Installed.

You should probably look out for salt spray by the sea - I was paranoid about it when observing in Cornwall last year. The benefit is that there's little light pollution at sea and better access to the horizon - useful if you dream of catching those low elevation Messier objects.

DD

Hi Skipper Billy Stick a flag on the top and claim it for yourself. You would not need permission then for your Obsy and to put the cherry on the cake. Don't think about driving up, Get a cable car. Installed.

lol - Its forestry owned so there must be tracks of some kind to get the felling equipment up there. The Forestry Commission are a reasonable lot so it might be possible to get permission - it might not be as daft an idea as it sounds !!!  Watch this space !!!

lol - Its forestry owned so there must be tracks of some kind to get the felling equipment up there. The Forestry Commission are a reasonable lot so it might be possible to get permission - it might not be as daft an idea as it sounds !!!  Watch this space !!!

Good luck, seems a great idea.

Archived