Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from North Carolina, USA

Vankirk

Hello everyone. I live in a rural area in the mountains of northwest North Carolina, USA. The limiting magnitude of the area (when my neighbors turn their lights off :tongue: ) is about 5.5 or 6. I am extremely lucky to have pretty dark skies. I have 3 scopes; an 80mm Celestron refractor, a 114mm Celestron reflector, and a 127mm Celestron reflector. I love looking at the night sky and I have started to dabble in astrophotography with the Celestron NexImage 5 (due to the high cost of DSLRs). I have started trying with a 35mm Canon AV-1 but haven't had the film developed. I enjoy the Lounge for information and tips. Thank you everyone!

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL from a very stormy Scotland. You are lucky to have such dark skies to enjoy. We suffer badly from light pollution. There are plenty of people here who will be more than happy to help as you start out in astro photography

Howdy next door neighbor (State-wise anyway)    :icon_salut:  Sounds like you've got some nice gear and dark skies to boot! You'll hear mixed reviews on the Neximage 5 but personally, I think it's a great little planetary web cam which should be all you'll need to get started in astophotgraphy. Of course you'll soon get the urge to try some deep sky stuff and the Neximage won't be much good for that. That's about the time you'll start looking at DSLR's and CCD's and based on what I'm seeing, most folks tend to lean more one way or the other. I chose CCD's since I'm not very familar with f-stops, ISO's and such so the ease of use - considering everything else I'll need to learn - out weighed a wide FOV, at least for now. Also worth noting is DSLR's tend to be slanted toward the red spectrum unless certain modifications are made which voids your warranty  :embarrassed:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I think it's pretty cool you're the closest SGL member to my location that I've met thus far.   :smiley:

The wife and I are hoping to get back down to the Outer Banks this year - always stay at Hatteras - Quiet and peaceful and I've always spent most of my time surf fishing whenever we're there - but that was before I got involved in amature astronomy. I'm thinking now it will be more like 50% fishing and 50% imaging next time we go...  :grin:

Howdy, Vankirk - I'm another neighbor, but a little farther South (and a lot lighter too dangit )...  The family has a place on Lake Santeetlah, up there in the mountains north of Ashville. We'll be bringing the 'scopes up there later this year.  Some Gorgeous area there, man! 

Oh, and welcome - though I got here not long before you :)

• 1 month later...

Archived