SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Webcam lens removal

Evening all

Just a quick question Im hoping someone can help me with.

Im going to try a webcam with my telescope but do i need to remove the lens on the webcam first?

I also see that u can get an adapter with a thread to screw into where the old webcam lens was. But i dont have the screw in adapter just an adapter that i can attach to the outside around the lens area! Is this ok or do i need to get a screw adapter?

Cheers guys

The advantage of the screw-in adaptor is that you should get the camera sensor square to the optical axis, something it's quite tricky to do if you're just sticking some sort of tube to the outside of the case.

People do bodge up all sorts of stuff to fit when they don't have a suitable adaptor though, or if there isn't the standard M12x0.5 board-mount lens holder once the thread is removed..  Waste water pipe may work depending on how close the manufacturing tolerances are.  I've even seen cardboard and foam used.

James

Depending on your webcam you can buy one of these webcam nosepiece adapter for around 15€

it screws in the cam and you can screw an 1.25" filter on the other side to protect the sensor (a Baader UV/IR in my case)

Webcam adapter - Step1

Webcam adapter - Step2

Webcam adapter - Step3

in this picture I was able to screw a Baader 2.5x barlow as a quick proof of concept ;)

IMG 1563

Thanks for your help guys, Ive sorted it now! I used the adapter off a webcam that was supposed to be ready for astro work but was faulty, took the lens off the new cam and it slotted in tight with the housing. Even managed to get the filter in too. Its meant to be clear tonight so hopefully be able to try it out tonight starting with the moon[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived