Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Bristol, UK

Nigel C

Hello!  I am a total newcomer to Astronomy (despite an avid interest when I was at school - many years ago).  I guess the solar eclipse and then taking a few shots of the moon with a DLSR has rekindled my interest.  I have an interest in photography so thought I'd combine the two and delve into Astrophotography.  Having realised that this isn't a cheap hobby I am about ready to take the plunge and buy a mount and scope.  A few e-mail conversations with Martin from FLO (who has been great) and I am looking forward to starting.

The scope and mount I'm intending to order is the HEQ5 and Skywatcher 80ED (with guiding scope and guide camera coming later).

Anyone in Bristol recommend a good place to view - I am assuming the Downs will be OK but presumably you have to go out of Bristol to really cut down on light pollution?

Cheers for now, Nigel

Hi, welcome to SGL :) You won't go far wrong with FLO and the scope/mount you are looking at sounds ideal. The lower the LP the better for AP, though some do manage good results from city locations.

Hi Nigel and welcome to SGL - This is a great place and you are making an excellent decision in your scope and mount purchase. That will last you well. Also get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' from FLO - An excellent bible for DSO imagers.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Nigel.

I haven't tried viewing from the Downs but I believe Bristol Astronomical Society ( http://www.bristolastrosoc.org.uk/www/index.php ) have held star parties there before.

I would have thought the LP is still quite apparent here due to the proximity of town.

I have however tried out towards Chew Valley Lakes and that's much better. The Milky Way is (just about) visible from here and that's normally a good indicator of LP levels.

Due to the presence of the large expanses of water, there are obviously less street / house lights to contend with.

Not sure which side of town you are, but might be worth a visit. Heading south out of Bristol seems to be the best bet for reduced LP.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

Thanks Scott - I live in NW Bristol (Westbury-On-Trym) so may try that.  Once I become familiar with the scope and mount then I may try a trip to the Brecons - but suspect that will be a long way off......

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum. Bristol Astronomical society has it own observation site based in Failand which was a great location some years back but does now suffer from light pollution be it from the city itself, Bristol airport of from the local vets who have kindly installed some very nice security lighting.

If you require darker skies then in my view you need to head out towards the east of Bristol to such areas like Marshfield (on the Chippenham Rd) of possibly connect up with Bath Astronomers who occasional observe from Wellow and other sites near Bath. 

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived