Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up, discounted Mesu.

ollypenrice

TS are selling an original spec ArgoNavis, Stellarcat version of the mount. It isn't suitable for robotic operation but is handset-controlled. This is exactly the same as the one we use here and all I can say is that in over three years it has never dropped a sub to guiding error. That includes lots of 30 minute subs at a focal length of 2.4 metres.

With the strong pound this makes the mount a true bargain. Curret rates suggest about £3,200 - which is insanely cheap.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5425_MESU-Mount-200---parallaktische-GoTo-Montierung---bis-100kg-visuell--65kg-fotograf.html

If I didn't already have two other premium mounts and two EQ sixes I wouldn't be telling you this!!!

Olly

Edit. Also the present exchange rate has just tempted me into buying a new car over here so that's me lot...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the control system. Anything that I've read about setting the Mesu up scares the bejabbers outta me!

That will be the SiTech version. This one is child's play. With the power off I point at one alignment star, swtich on, go to the handset and choose Mode Align Star, select the star in question, centre it on the camera's capture screen, confirm in the handset and that's it.

You can then use the GoTo on the handset or set it to show RA and Dec and drive it to your co-ordinates while watching these change.

To do a flip you stop the guiding, drive it back to the other side of the meridian with the Stellarcat handset and re-press GoTo. This time it will go to the objects with weights east.

Re the C14, it's perfect. We used it for two years with Yves' 14 inch ODK. Here they are;

YVES-M.jpg

In its second life it looks like this:

Tandem-M.jpg

For me, as a provider, it is simply a joy to have confidence in a mount, to feel sure that it will just work. Thanks to the generosity of NC Junk on here I even have a spare Stellarcat system in stock. However, this mount has never misbehaved. That is, literally never.

Olly

That is a cracker of a deal if I didn't already have one, I'd be in there like a shot - someone is going to have a very good day indeed!

With regard to setting up the Sitech II version, I have written a manual that explains what is required and it really isn't that difficult and with the Sitech controller, the Mesu 200 becomes a wonderful robotic mount that knocks spots off the Paramount for the money ...... :evil:

post-1029-0-26329000-1427707222_thumb.pn

How does the guiding work? There's an OAG on the ODK, but how does that integrate back to the PC?

Bog standard 'ST4' cable. (I put it in parenthesis because, being stricly accurate, the thing we call an ST4 cable wasn't used by the venerable ST4 autoguider.)

So the 'ST4' goes from camera to Stellarcat drive control box on the mount and the guide cam to PC is USB. We guided the 14 inch in PHD on Yves' Mac. I now guide it in AstroArt 5 because I understand it better. I just set the Dec backlash compensation to zero, manually. I rarely bother to recalibrate in different parts of the sky because the guide trace is always better than it needs to be for the Taks imaging at 3.5 arcsecs per pixel. We did recalibrate with the OAG and the 14 inch though.

Great to hear that Steve has done a manual. Does Lucas know about this? It needs putting about!

Olly

Re the C14, it's perfect. We used it for two years with Yves' 14 inch ODK. Here they are;

This would be easier to ignore if I wasn't already planning to buy a Mesu at some point...  Though the inability to control the mount with a laptop does put me off somewhat.

I would have been very tempted.  However, my budget and efforts are now concentrated into getting Observatory built and not acquiring yet more kit that I CBA to set up and tear down all the time!  After that is done I may be in the market for such a mount!  

I saw this mount on the TS site a couple of weeks ago and was very tempted but decided to buy  one with Sitech controller from Modern Astronomy. Order placed and should be available for collection some time in May - just in time for perpetual twilight :-(

@Zakalwe: I was also considering an MX+ but couldn't bring myself to be reliant upon the SB software / hardware combination. Having met the Bisque brothers at a couple of US star parties, it was clear that our ideas of what constitutes good customer service were rather different.

The exchange rate is working against us for my other alternative - AstroPhysics 1100GTO although I was still very tempted - I have owned an AP1200, AP900 and Mach1 in the past and all were excellent with first class support from Roland and his team at AstroPhysics when needed.

Looking forward to trying out the Mesu200.

Derrick

I saw this mount on the TS site a couple of weeks ago and was very tempted but decided to buy  one with Sitech controller from Modern Astronomy. Order placed and should be available for collection some time in May - just in time for perpetual twilight :-(

@Zakalwe: I was also considering an MX+ but couldn't bring myself to be reliant upon the SB software / hardware combination. Having met the Bisque brothers at a couple of US star parties, it was clear that our ideas of what constitutes good customer service were rather different.

The exchange rate is working against us for my other alternative - AstroPhysics 1100GTO although I was still very tempted - I have owned an AP1200, AP900 and Mach1 in the past and all were excellent with first class support from Roland and his team at AstroPhysics when needed.

Looking forward to trying out the Mesu200.

Derrick

The American attitude to customer service can indeed seem remarkably abrupt to European sensibilities, something I find surprizing.

I hope you like your Mesu, Derrick, and strongly suspect that you will.

Olly

The American attitude to customer service can indeed seem remarkably abrupt to European sensibilities, something I find surprizing.

I hope you like your Mesu, Derrick, and strongly suspect that you will.

Olly

Absolutely right about American attitudes to customer service (and many other aspects of business) - I have run the European organisations of several American software companies, large and small. for the last 20+ years and spend a lot of energy moderating headquarters thinking and behaviour to something more acceptable in the civilised world :-)

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the Mesu; I have been using an EQ-8 for the last few months with an Edge 11HD and whilst I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the mount has performed at long focal length and slow focal ratio it will be good to get back to a mount that just works without constant nursing.

Of course, since your opinion of the Mesu induced me to consider it in the first place, if the Mesu doesn't work out - I'll hold you personally responsible :eek:

Derrick

Derrick

Very tempting but alas I've too many things to sort out first, I need my patio re-laid and a small RoR obsy to be built before I can think of new mounts. That's just the astro side of things.

I wish these were more easily obtainable here in the states. This is a perfect mount if you dont need to go remote. The alternative here in the US is the AP900/1100, which is what I have my sights on. I prefer AP over SB also. Though SB does make it easier to go fully remote with thier software you can do it with the AP mounts as well. Just takes a bit more equipement.

Derrick - Not to get too off topic but what where your results with the C11 and EQ8?

Archived