SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New member in SE France

WDGH

Greetings one and all and thanks for allowing me to join this prestigious forum!

My name is William, I'm a semi-retired military type and I live (mostly) in Mougins, SE France. I am quite new to Astronomy but quickly found out that my real interest is AstroPhotograghy, so I'm on a double-learning curve.

I keep a Meade 8" LS at my home in UK and an Evo 9.25" for use in France. I have recently acquired a Skyris 445C for planetary work, from which I have already had some respectable results, considering my lack of experience.  I am in the process of acquiring an ATIK 460EX and a Hyperstar for the Evo for deep space AP.  I also use Starsense and Skysync on the Evo from which I have obtained very pleasing results; set-up time down to a couple of minutes.

Already developed a wish list of a Advanced VX mount and an autoguider....

In look forward to posting some of my efforts and getting some help/constructive criticism from the more experienced members!

Experience so far - empty wallet and sleepless nights!

William

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL from another imager - If you DSO's are your thing then you will do well to buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the FLO website in the book section. Read it once, twice and thrice before spending a penny...... it will really help you to understand what you want and why and what will make your learning curve a little easier.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi William,

Welcome to SGL. Hope it is warmer where you are!!

Damian,

Yes, nice and warm here at about 23 C here, temperature at night rarely drops below 12 C this time of year.

William

Hi and welcome from SW France

If my experience is anything to go by there are not many Associations in France so you may have to make it on your own when over here

If you do then SGL is a great place to get information and answers

Hi William,

You are in a beautiful part of France, passed through Les Parcs de Mougins some years ago. 

Damian,

Thanks and yes, quality of life is good here - I'm right in Les Parcs.

William

Hi and welcome from SW France

If my experience is anything to go by there are not many Associations in France so you may have to make it on your own when over here

If you do then SGL is a great place to get information and answers

Chris,

Thanks for this. Agreed not much happening apart from the Observatory in Nice. Ill be relying on the forum heavily. Already noted Olly's facility at Les Granges, think I'll be contacting his very soon...

William

Hi William & Welcome to SGL. Nice scopes you have there.  Good luck with 

Thanks Mary,

Already regretting the set up given that I suddenly realised AP was for me rather than visual. But I can always get an Advanced VX Mount and autoguide I guess.

You live in a beautiful part of the world, fond memories of Co. Down.

William

Archived