Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to get images of the moon..

That was my first telescope. The only way that I found of taking images of the Moon using it was to hold a compact camera up to the eyepiece - some people use smartphones now. Get the Moon in focus first with the eyepiece then focus on that image with your camera. Try not to overexpose. Good luck.

Peter

That was my first telescope. The only way that I found of taking images of the Moon using it was to hold a compact camera up to the eyepiece - some people use smartphones now. Get the Moon in focus first with the eyepiece then focus on that image with your camera. Try not to overexpose. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks so much will post photos of what I manage to get.

Lunar and planetary imaging is most often done with a webcam. Ask on here for decent cheap ones and how to mod them for AP. There are Xbox cams modding tutorials, but I don't know how available the cams and drivers are now:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131246-xbox-livecam-mod-cliff/

http://astrobeano.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/xbox-360-webcam-for-astrophotography.html

Use SharpCap freeware to capture the images (.avi vids) and Registax freeware to stack the vids. Then you can process the resultant image with Wavelets in Registax then more processing if you wish in GIMP or other software.

If you have a DSLR with video crop mode, you could use that.

This is all depending on if you can achieve focus with these cams! I wish I could help there.

Ask on here for further info!

Alexxx

Archived