Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ASI120mc-s won't work with FC or Sharpcap, on USB 3 port..

Astroboffin

Hi,

I have just bought the above mentioned camera, and it works fine on my USB 2 ports, but if I connect to my USB 3.0 port, it is not even found in Firecapture, and in sharpcap 2 and the latest 2.5, it is found but just an "error during preview" box coming up on screen.....with this number after it. (0x80040209) whatever that means

Any ideas ??

My USB 3 port works fine for other devices and it has the latest driver, for the camera, but have tried an older driver too, but it is the same....

Regards

AB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the camera show up in the device manager when plugged into the USB3 port?

James

No not anywhere, only when plugged into USB 2 ports...it works perfectly on USB 2, not even recognised on 3, but when I start sharpcap when connected to USB 3, it shows the camera at the bottom of the screen and then throws an "error during preview", but still does not show in device manager.

It is the intel chipset too on my laptop which it is supposed to work well with.

Very annoying as I sold my USB 2 version to buy this, and it is no better at all. So really wasted the extra money..

Regards

AB

Yes, mine is the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller, which it states on the ZWO site it will work with, what really annoys me is that if I went out and bought any other USB 3.0 device it would work on any USB 3.0 port, but these cameras are so badly tested and fickle with such badly written drivers that we have to go,through all this hassle, and waste so much money, why can't they get it right forts time, like other companies do....

Sorry rant over :)

AB

I do understand your frustration.  I used to have some Microsoft-badged kit that didn't work when plugged into my USB3 ports either.  To be fair to ZWO it is probably very difficult for them to test lots of different combinations of hardware, but in fact they aren't building the USB stuff themselves.  They buy in the chipset including all the stuff that holds the firmware from a third-party that sells it specifically as a chipset for building USB3 devices around.  One would hope it was possible to rely on such a supplier to have reasonably-documented any compatibility issues.

As you've already tried updating the USB drivers with the latest Intel versions then I think I'd be looking to find another machine with USB3 just to check that the camera isn't faulty as even if it does work with USB2 we shouldn't rule out a fault that prevents it working with USB3.  Which also suggests that it would be worth trying a different cable.  I believe it's quite possible that a cable could work for USB2 and still fail with USB3.

James

It sounds like some sort of USB3 chipset compatibility issue.  I often plug mine into an Orico USB3 hub.  I wonder if it might be worth trying something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-W5PH4-U3-BK-Ultra-Portable-Windows/dp/B00GIDZINC/

James

That is a cheap solution, to get

USB3, on your laptop. Thanks James.

Steve.

That is a cheap solution, to getUSB3, on your laptop. Thanks James.Steve.

Using an external USB 3.0 hub WONT give you USB 3.0 on your laptop unless it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port, if you plug into a USB 2.0 port then it will only work as USB 2.0, I think James means as I have a USB 3 port to plug a hub into that and try.....

Just thought I would explain.....it's not as simple as just buying a USB 3.0 hub for a USB 2.0 laptop....

Regards

AB

I do understand your frustration.  I used to have some Microsoft-badged kit that didn't work when plugged into my USB3 ports either.  To be fair to ZWO it is probably very difficult for them to test lots of different combinations of hardware, but in fact they aren't building the USB stuff themselves.  They buy in the chipset including all the stuff that holds the firmware from a third-party that sells it specifically as a chipset for building USB3 devices around.  One would hope it was possible to rely on such a supplier to have reasonably-documented any compatibility issues.

As you've already tried updating the USB drivers with the latest Intel versions then I think I'd be looking to find another machine with USB3 just to check that the camera isn't faulty as even if it does work with USB2 we shouldn't rule out a fault that prevents it working with USB3.  Which also suggests that it would be worth trying a different cable.  I believe it's quite possible that a cable could work for USB2 and still fail with USB3.

James

I will try another cable, but don't have another USB 3.0 machine to try ATM

Regards

AB

Using an external USB 3.0 hub WONT give you USB 3.0 on your laptop unless it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port, if you plug into a USB 2.0 port then it will only work as USB 2.0, I think James means as I have a USB 3 port to plug a hub into that and try.....

Just thought I would explain.....it's not as simple as just buying a USB 3.0 hub for a USB 2.0 laptop....

Regards

AB

Compatible with any USB3,USB2, & USB1.

I just saw this in the blurb,& thought

it would it would be a cheap solution, for

USB-3.Thanks for that AB.I nearly ordered it.

Steve.

Just been on the ZWO forum, and looks like I am not the only one having these issues, in fact there is a guy on there having exactly the same problem, I have just messaged him to see exactly which laptop, he has got as it sounds the same as mine, at least I am not on my own, but still very frustrating, I have messaged Sam too at ZWO to see if he has any ideas....

Thanks for your ongoing advice on this

:) :)

AB

Compatible with any USB3,USB2, & USB1.I just saw this in the blurb,& thoughtit would it would be a cheap solution, forUSB-3.Thanks for that AB.I nearly ordered it.Steve.

Yes it will work with all those, but only at those speeds........

For it to give USB 3.0 speed it needs to be connected to USB 3.0 port...they should make that clear as people do not realise, but if you think about it...it makes sense as the laptop USB 2.0 port can never be anything but USB 2.0.

Regards

AB

That is exactly what I meant :)

James

I thought it had some fancy electronics

inside, that converted it to USB-3. :iamwithstupid:

You are not the first, and certainly won't be the last, to think that, and I am sure there are some people who have gone ahead and bought them thinking the same thing as you did...........only to be disappointed and have no difference in speed.

I know a few people who bought USB 3 memory sticks and thought that they would transfer data at super fast speeds, when plugged into a USB 2 port........but wrong

:) :)

AB

That is exactly what I meant :)

James

Well I have ordered one, got it for £8.88 delivered so even if it does not work, nothing really lost, I am sure as I only have one USB 3.0 port on my laptop it will come in useful at some point.

I would be surprised really of it does work, as it still has to be recognised by the inbuilt USB controller, which ATM it is not doing, but for that price it's worth a gamble in my book....

:)

AB

This is the USB3 hub I have, btw: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-Aluminum-powered-laptop-master/dp/B00IJOL5IU

Looks like it has perhaps been discontinued in favour of designs that look a little less "industrial" :)

Even this hub hasn't worked with absolutely everything I've thrown at it though.  I have one USB2 camera (could be the QHY5) that doesn't get on with it, despite all my others working quite happily.  It's even happy with my USB1 SPC900, which often seems to get its knickers in a twist over lack of bandwidth when plugged into a USB2 hub with other devices.

I can't help wondering how many of the producers of the low-level components for all this sort of stuff are cutting the odd corner here and there as regards component tolerances and suchlike.  It does feel (and I honestly wouldn't want to tar all such manufacturers with the same brush because I am quite aware that there are some very good ones too) that alongside the "Made in China" label there should sometimes be another that says "QA by the end user".

James

Well I have ordered one, got it for £8.88 delivered so even if it does not work, nothing really lost, I am sure as I only have one USB 3.0 port on my laptop it will come in useful at some point.

I would be surprised really of it does work, as it still has to be recognised by the inbuilt USB controller, which ATM it is not doing, but for that price it's worth a gamble in my book....

:)

AB

Assuming the camera and cable are functioning correctly, it probably depends on whether the issue you're seeing is something to do with signalling, or whether it's just that the two chipsets can't co-operate.  In the former case I guess it's quite possible it won't help.  In the latter, interposing a different chipset between the two might possibly help.

James

I thought you had the one you linked to before, but still think it is worth the gamble, the only possible problem is that it is not powered which might cause issues with multiple devices connected to it

Regards

Ab

My apologies.  I thought I'd been more clear than I was.  The one I have doesn't appear to be available any more, but the one I linked to seemed cheap enough to be worth a punt and as it's made by the same company will hopefully be equally reliable.

James

i have one of these cameras and it works fine with USB3 when plugged directly into the computer, i have had issues in the past when trying to plug the camera in using a USB3 5m active repeater cable. I havent read all the replies in depth but have you got an extension cable between the Laptop & Camera?

Also dont rule out the cable, i always replace the stock cables with Lindy USB cables, i have found i generally get a more reliable connection. Try a different USB cable. it shouldnt make a difference but dont rule anything out, i once worked a PC that was scared of the dark and wouldn't come on unless the case was taken off

Archived