Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2 clamping screw mod

I recently bought a secondhand Skytee 2 in great condition but wasn't happy with the dovetail clamps after having read some related posts. So, whilst I like the look of the ADM upgrade it was a bit pricey for me at £60 each at the present time so looked for an alternative option. The main problem is I think that the female threads in the clamping knobs are fairly quickly stripped because they are made from aluminium and screw onto a steel male thread. If the female thread was also steel there wouldn't presumably be a problem so I set about finding a way to insert a steel thread into the knob shaft. 

My thoughts turned to Beacon Hill Telescopes who I knew were usually happy to help out with such modifications.  They came up with a brilliant idea which was to cut off a portion of the aluminium shaft and replace with a 6mm female threaded stainless steel section which is secured throught the top end of the knurled knob with a hex socket head cap bolt.

They also inserted a pin through the stainless shaft into the end of the cap bolt to secure it permanently.

I now needn't worry about stripped threads and already my scope feels much more secure on the original dovetail clamps.

Hopefully I have also saved myself over £100 for both clamps against the ADM upgrades.  OK mine don't look as good as the ADM ones and I still have only one clamping screw per dovetail, but they seem sufficient with the scopes I am mounting (6" Mak and 120mm frac).

Top marks for Beacon Hill Telescopes - I'd recommend them to anyone. 

I've tried to upload a couple of photos but unsuccessfully?

Hi Birchy,

Sounds like a good mod. I have a skytee II that i have the optional third top mount and balance on. Any chance of posting a pic of the mod??.

Try using the simpler version of the uploader if you cannot browse. It  is within the full editor when you post, or more reply options.

Definitely capable of what you have on board, mine is loaded with 150mm mak, 152mm frac and a st120.

post-3788-0-31356400-1427579173_thumb.jp

OK damnut that seemed to work, here's the third pic showing the top of the clamping screw with the hex cap bolt that travels through into the steel shaft section where it is held in place by the female thread plus a securing pin.

post-35853-0-73183900-1427581017_thumb.j

Thats a very neat solution to an issue that needs to be addressed before putting a heavy scope on a Skytee II. It's a little disappointing that Skywatcher

have not addressed the problem themselves given that it's recieved quite a lot of coverage.

I'm sure I saw someone selling steel versions of the knobs sometime back but can't find them now. Beacon Hill has stepped into the breach.

Hi Birchy,

Sounds like a good mod. I have a skytee II that i have the optional third top mount and balance on. Any chance of posting a pic of the mod??.

Try using the simpler version of the uploader if you cannot browse. It  is within the full editor when you post, or more reply options.

Definitely capable of what you have on board, mine is loaded with 150mm mak, 152mm frac and a st120.

attachicon.gifAE-PIER-002_2.jpg

Damnut, what 6" mak is that? i take it the Mak is the blue tube 

Thats a very neat solution to an issue that needs to be addressed before putting a heavy scope on a Skytee II. It's a little disappointing that Skywatcher

have not addressed the problem themselves given that it's recieved quite a lot of coverage.

I'm sure I saw someone selling steel versions of the knobs sometime back but can't find them now. Beacon Hill has stepped into the breach.

I forgot to mention that in order for the clamping knobs to be modified you have to send them to Beacon Hill Telescopes which posed no problems for me. Just sent them first class post but you could if you wished ask for signed for delivery or something more secure.

I would also add that Beacon Hill don't make these as a stock item (although I think they would sell quite a few if they did).  It was something we cobbled up together but I think it's a winner. I now hold them in very high esteem!!

Hi,

Looks neat.

I also didn't like the as supplied threads on the Sky Tee dovetail. I ended up fitting a couple of heli-coils inserts to the clamping nut and it feels rock solid now. I also fitted heli-coils to the main body of the dovetail. On mine when I took the stud out of the dovetail it was only screwed in by about 2 threads, I have extended the thread / heli-coiled in this part as well.

I'm surprised Skywatcher haven't sorted this yet, it's a great mount.

Thanks

Thanksd12aea1ea32dde1d6bb551e9160d7642.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was me!

This was my version, all stainless steel.

attachicon.gifP1040646.JPG

These stainless knobs look great, how did you come by them?

The modified knobs I have from Beacon Hill are very strong and well made. They charged me £10.00 for both knobs plus postage which is incredibly reasonable. 

Hi,

Looks neat.

I also didn't like the as supplied threads on the Sky Tee dovetail. I ended up fitting a couple of heli-coils inserts to the clamping nut and it feels rock solid now. I also fitted heli-coils to the main body of the dovetail. On mine when I took the stud out of the dovetail it was only screwed in by about 2 threads, I have extended the thread / heli-coiled in this part as well.

I'm surprised Skywatcher haven't sorted this yet, it's a great mount.

Thanks

Thanksd12aea1ea32dde1d6bb551e9160d7642.jpg

How do you fit heli coils? They look pretty good to me.

Hi

Heli-coils are really easy to fit if you are fine with drilling / tapping threads etc.

Heli coils are profiled wire wound steel springs inserts, the inside dimensions of the insert forms the new thread. You get a kit which includes a drill, tap. Heli-coil insert + fitting tools. You drill out the original thread, tap a new thread and wind the insert into the the new thread using a supplied tool and that's it. The inserts have a little fitting tab which needs to be broken off once the insert has been wound in but a little punch is in the kit for doing this.

The kit was about £15 on eBay and I have a little mini lathe / mini mill at home so it was really easy to do.

They work really well for the soft aluminium that tends to come with Skywatcher stuff.

Thanks

"The modified knobs I have from Beacon Hill are very strong and well made. They charged me £10.00 for both knobs plus postage which is incredibly reasonable".

I thing at that price they must have doing a customer favour job. Quite a bit of time undertaking the lathe work and fitting, including the stainless steel. If taken lo a small Eng workshop,

you would be laying out considerably more than that for the job to be done. Well done Beacon Hill on their customer relations :)

Archived