SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 25 March - early RGB attempts

Alan

Thought that it was time I tried to get the best out of my C9.25 before Jupiter goes, bit the bullet and bought some Baader RGB filters and wheel to try and improve on my DBK21 osc.  Suddenly realised what a steep learning curve this is, seem to have files everywhere !  No sooner had I got the filters some weeks ago but my QHY5L-II gave up the ghost. Luckily Bernard at Modern Astronomy quickly replaced it under warranty.  Still largely messing around ( I mean experimenting) but have settled on taking 40 second runs per filter at around 100 fps in EZPlanetary.  Stacked in AS!2, loaded the rgb files into Astra Image to combine and sharpen with ME deconvolution with noise reduction later.   The seeing was above average and early results presented below.  Tried WINJUPOS on some longer runs but ended up with very noisy images.  Now to sort through the rest of the zillion gig of data :(

Constructive comments and guidance most welcome ....

post-2252-0-17518200-1427569903.png

post-2252-0-19773600-1427569923.png

Very nice images both of them.

I started using PIPP for all my RGB images a few months back and i have found it makes my workflow from then on much easier. All images are lined up in PIPP, then stacked in Autostakkert. The rgb's are then combined in GIMP (i just find it easier than Photoshop) then some light processing in maybe in Photshop.

Many thanks for al  your supportive comments Simon, Bish, Darryl, Rob, Stuart, Kaymay, Pete and Pete, Michael and Leveye ...much appreciated :)  Although my rgb processing has quite some way to go it is clear that the mono route is providing better resolution over my previous osc results, albeit at a significant increase in processing time ! 

Taken your advice re PIPP Pete for batch processing and image centring and reprocessed one of the images above with slightly better results I think.  Getting round to the rest slowly.

Bish I remember looking in awe at professional astro images in my early teens 50 years ago and it continues to amaze me that with relatively small scopes and simple cameras we can get even better images from our back gardens.. wonders of the digital age :)

post-2252-0-31815200-1427715116.png

This is looking good Alan! great detail coming through :smiley: . Yes the mono approach certainly does increase the tweaking time! (re files lol!) But I have committed to this also and I do think it gives a better result. You are certainly beginning to get nice results. Just wish we had more chances to capture!

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived