Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 130P

Hello, I am thinking of getting the Skywatcher 130P telescope as my first telescope. Any opinions on this? is it good? Are skywatchers reliable? And is it an equatorial mount as different websites say different things?...

This is a good first scope. I haven't actually looked through one but Sky watcher gear is usually pretty good - I have two SW mounts (EQ3 and SkyTee)

Websites seem to say different things because they may be selling the telescope on different mounts - equatorial or alt-az. Alt-az mounts are simpler, but equatorials can be set up to track the object you are viewing. The simplest mount is called a Dobsonian. The telescopes on these mounts generally offer the greatest aperture per pound spent.

Hope that helps.

Hiya,

I had one. A 900mm focal length version on an EQ2. Absolutely cracking scope. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a starter scope. The eyepieces it comes with aren't great, but much better EPs can be had for only a little extra (I went for Revelation Plossls - 9mm, 20mm and 32mm) and will really make a difference. 

Kev

Archived